Chrome...devouring battery...

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Chrome is always the #1 or #2 battery draw. I disabled chrome, went with chrome beta, same thing.

For instance my screen is 28%, chrome is 25%. Yesterday chrome was 32%, screen was 29%. Anyone else experiencing this?

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Chrome is always the #1 or #2 battery draw. I disabled chrome, went with chrome beta, same thing.

For instance my screen is 28%, chrome is 25%. Yesterday chrome was 32%, screen was 29%. Anyone else experiencing this?

Chrome is always #2 even w brightness set to around 20%.

Have you tried wiping the cache partition? Un-Install chrome updates and then reinstall? Wipe chrome app data?

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I've disabled chrome, which uninstalls chrome updates. Wiping the cache partition is pointless as it was doing this out of the box without even being signed into an account.

I spend a fair amount of time using chrome. But it shouldn't be consuming as much battery as the display. Chrome was never more than 12-15% of the battery on any of my other devices. On the moto x, if the display was 28-35%, chrome was 12-15%. Used under the same circumstances...

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
one thing I noticed chrome is really slow sometimes. anyone else experience this?

Posted via the Android Central App

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
How can you be so certain? You are only comparing relative percentages with little else to go on ...

I'm just curious.

Because it's now happening on my nexus 7 2013 after the marshmallow update. My moto X 2014 still on 5.1 chrome uses 1/3 of what the screen uses. I don't think the 5x has a display that much more efficient.

exodite

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
I just wanted to say I'm having the exact same problem. Right now after a couple hours off the charger, where I visited one website, put the phone to sleep and not touched it since, Chrome is at 8% battery usage and the screen is at 1%...did you happen to find a way to fix it?

Like you I also have a moto x 2014 on lollipop 5.1 and chrome would use a fraction of the battery. And if it's also happening on your nexus 7 with marshmallow...a chrome + marshmallow battery issue perhaps?

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I actually haven't found a solution, but I've sent the 5x back. I can't justify keeping it when for all intents and purposes I find the moto x 2014 to be a better device. It was my first non nexus device in years, now I'm finding it hard to go back.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Interesting... I hated my Moto X (2014) Pure Edition and sent it back right before the return period was up.. The Amoled screen on it was absolute garbage! (on mine at least) and the whites were very pink..

At that time i went back to my N5 but have since went to the 5X.

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Interesting... I hated my Moto X (2014) Pure Edition and sent it back right before the return period was up.. The Amoled screen on it was absolute garbage! (on mine at least) and the whites were very pink..

At that time i went back to my N5 but have since went to the 5X.

My nexus 5x had a pink hue in comparison to my MotoX and Nexus 7. I didn't mind it so much due to all the **** yellow displays out there...

But head to head the Moto X 2014 display crushes the 5x. 5x looks washed out, dull compared to the Moto X. Forget comparing blacks. But colors are so much more lively and vibrant on the Moto X. It was the first thing my gf pointed out when I got it, and my mom who uses a nexus 6 said the same thing.

I'm not big on 'natural' looking displays. I'd much rather have a slightly over saturated punchy amoled than a washed out LCD.

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Chrome extensively uses cpu resources that's why it drags your battery.

Well...obviously.

The question is why does it do that on the Nexus 5x, but not on the Moto X 2014? My Nexus 7 is on the OTA marshmallow and also doesn't suffer from Chrome eating so much battery.

exodite

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Even if Chrome DID use a lot of CPU resources while using it...fine, I could fathom that. But it doesn't make sense how it eats up so much battery when the phone is sleeping. It's a browser. Chrome will be at 1% battery usage when I unplug it and use it for a couple minutes, I'll let the phone sleep for a couple hours, check back, it's up to 5% or so. What exactly could it be doing to kill the battery while the phone is asleep? Pinging location? Searching for wifi? Background services?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000