CM ROM Help for an Android newbie?

Prodigal

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm a long time iPhone user that recently made the switch to Android, and now have an AT&T Galaxy S4. I've been jailbreaking my iPhones for quite some time, and actually work in IT, so I know my way around computers. That being said, I have almost no linux experience, and cannot for my life find an in depth guide on how to get the Cyanogenmod ROM installed onto my phone. The CM installer doesn't support my device, and the instructions on their wiki seem to indicate that my phone's current build is incompatible. It also mentions ADB among other things that I've never heard of before.

I've done more than a little googling, but I either don't know what I'm looking for, or there really isn't a full on guide for how to do custom ROMs for android newbies. If such a thing already exists and someone could point me in the right direction that would be awesome. If indeed such a guide doesn't exist for whatever reason, and someone could take the time to write one (or just compile links to places that can explain wtf I should be doing) I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Device info:

Android Version: 4.3
Baseband: I337UCUEMK2
Build: JSS15J.I337UCUEMK2

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm a long time iPhone user that recently made the switch to Android, and now have an AT&T Galaxy S4. I've been jailbreaking my iPhones for quite some time, and actually work in IT, so I know my way around computers. That being said, I have almost no linux experience, and cannot for my life find an in depth guide on how to get the Cyanogenmod ROM installed onto my phone. The CM installer doesn't support my device, and the instructions on their wiki seem to indicate that my phone's current build is incompatible. It also mentions ADB among other things that I've never heard of before.

I've done more than a little googling, but I either don't know what I'm looking for, or there really isn't a full on guide for how to do custom ROMs for android newbies. If such a thing already exists and someone could point me in the right direction that would be awesome. If indeed such a guide doesn't exist for whatever reason, and someone could take the time to write one (or just compile links to places that can explain wtf I should be doing) I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Device info:

Android Version: 4.3
Baseband: I337UCUEMK2
Build: JSS15J.I337UCUEMK2

Welcome to the forums and Android. Check out galaxys4 root.com. You probably do have a build that can't be modified yet, thanks to some of Samsungs security software. However, first try looking at rooting and flashing (installing) a custom recovery. That alone will let you back up your current ROM (very important), before flashing a custom ROM.

From a Sprint Moto X on AC forums app.

Prodigal

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the information. I looked around as you suggested, but I can't find any information on even rooting my phone based on its current build. Am I continuing to miss something or is it just too new?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the information. I looked around as you suggested, but I can't find any information on even rooting my phone based on its current build. Am I continuing to miss something or is it just too new?

From what I understand, Knox is proving to be an issue with rooting.

From a Sprint Moto X on AC forums app.