CM7.1 - what has to happen to go stable?

littlenoodles

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
This is a general question (not specific to 7.1).

Since CM7.1 is based on the gingerbread source as released by Google, what all do they tweak in all the nightlies? I assume they're not making changes to the code (or at least not to fix bugs in it). That would mean they're mostly tweaking various system settings and picking the right combination of drivers to work on the specific devices Cyangogen supports.

But if that were true, I can't imagine it would take months and months to go from CM7 stable to CM7.1 stable. Just compile the latest code and apply all the same setting changes you made to the last stable release. Obviously, it's not that simple, but does anybody there know what all is involved? Do the Cyanogen folks have a doc that describes the process (I haven't found one)?

Then again, I remember it taking a really long time for even Google to get out gingerbread to the Nexus One. Is that because gingerbread was a huge change from froyo under the covers?

littlenoodles

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Never mind (I guess). I just found the CM7 'About' page, and it seems like they tweak lots of app functionality beyond just getting the latest OS onto hardware when the vendor won't provide the upgrade. And I guess that's a good thing - a better Android than stock.

I've been waiting for 7.1 stable mostly because of the battery life issues in CM7 on the Nook - not for all the cool new features, so the wait has seemed interminable. I do have an early nightly installed (as packaged by Phiremod), but it's buggy, and Phiremod seems to be waiting for the stable release to do another drop. I guess it's time to go directly to the nightlies myself.

197 anyone?

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
You really should update to the latest nightly. They're more stable and have a ton of fixes.

Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
You really should update to the latest nightly. They're more stable and have a ton of fixes.

By 'latest nightly', do you mean the RC1 version, the absolute latest, or some specific 'known to be good' nightly in between?

I'm on 201. Perfectly stable. No reported problems with newer nightlys either. I just haven't had time to update.

Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fatiko