Collection thread for limitations when using the Gear S3 with non-Samsung phones

dshrum84

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
When I was looking for info before buying the Gear S3, the primary question I had that no one seemed to have or want to share an answer to was:

What are the specific limitations to various functions of the S3 when used with my non-Samsung phone?

I think a thread collecting those would be helpful to others with the same question and also for those trying to figure out if they are having a normal experience for their phone or not.

HTC One M9 on T-mobile, Marshmallow
-Samsung Pay works fully for financial institution supported cards.
-Text messaging works fully: recieve, reply from notification, send from native app or contact listing, can be dictated with S Voice fairly accurately and getting more so with repeated exposure.
-Emails show a notification including the first sentence or so, but that's all. No app to send either new or replies, I have to go to the phone, though I can have the email called up on the phone by the watch's notification.
-S Health, as far as I can tell, works fully.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Limitations I've found are:

Can't see SMS conversations... Only the latest txt from a contact.

Can't initiate an SMS using svoice. Reply and contact based sms work fine, but saying hey gear txt (contact) says sms service not available.

Predictive replies don't seem to work. First response is always ok.

Can't seem to control Chromecast. Sometimes I can see the application that's casting... But the buttons do nothing.

The positives actually outweigh all of these tho. It's a fantastic piece of tech that was worth the price.

dshrum84

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
I agree those are issues, but are they related to the version of the watch you have (US/International, LTE/BT) or the phone you're using and Samsung's willingness to cooperate with it's maker? What's your phone and watch type?

If we can compare experiences maybe someone else with the same phone/watch combo will notice they do or don't have your issues. That would help determine if it's a faulty watch or poor phone manufacturer integration with Tizen.

I can say that when I was using my phone on BT mode and the LTE was only active when the BT connection wasn't, I didn't experience what you're going through. I don't know if the BT only watch has some weird different interactions with the apps or if it's due to the phone maker's software.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
I agree those are issues, but are they related to the version of the watch you have (US/International, LTE/BT) or the phone you're using and Samsung's willingness to cooperate with it's maker? What's your phone and watch type?

If we can compare experiences maybe someone else with the same phone/watch combo will notice they do or don't have your issues. That would help determine if it's a faulty watch or poor phone manufacturer integration with Tizen.

I can say that when I was using my phone on BT mode and the LTE was only active when the BT connection wasn't, I didn't experience what you're going through. I don't know if the BT only watch has some weird different interactions with the apps or if it's due to the phone maker's software.

Wasn't that the point of this thread.

dshrum84

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
Right. Now if others who have a Pixel see it, they can compare experiences with you and others who are looking at buying a Pixel can see what you've gone through and if the issues were addressed.

I do know the Pixel phones had issues with Samsung Pay after other android phones were working as designed. Maybe other things weren't addressed either but the "reviewers" didn't seem to answer many basic questions when they could focus on the clickbait stuff like Samsung Pay.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Right. Now if others who have a Pixel see it, they can compare experiences with you and others who are looking at buying a Pixel can see what you've gone through and if the issues were addressed.

I do know the Pixel phones had issues with Samsung Pay after other android phones were working as designed. Maybe other things weren't addressed either but the "reviewers" didn't seem to answer many basic questions when they could focus on the clickbait stuff like Samsung Pay.

Samsung pay is flawless.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Nexus 6P, Frontier LTE. I get SMS on Bluetooth, but not in standalone unless people text the watch's number (I'm with T-Mobile, so no number sync). Haven't tried what happens when I forward the phone number to the watch though.

dshrum84

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
Nexus 6P, Frontier LTE. I get SMS on Bluetooth, but not in standalone unless people text the watch's number (I'm with T-Mobile, so no number sync). Haven't tried what happens when I forward the phone number to the watch though.

Is your watch able to connect to your phone remotely or does it just stay in standalone mode? Have you looked into the Digits beta? The "watch using the phone's number" functionality has been excellent so far for me even though the PC side needs work.

May 3, 2015
Visit site

Can we please stop pointing out that LTE has sms. We know. That's not in question.

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm using a Pixel 2 XL and had this problem as well. I read about this issue elsewhere and someone recommended the Pulse App. I gave it a try and can now read entire text messages. It's absurd that you must install an app but this this isn't the only issue that exists when using non-Samsung phones. On the plus side, Pulse App has some extra functionality that allowed me to get rid of another app, plus the browser access is very nice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onais