Communications Providers (Verizon)

Iam3697

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
I am eligible for a phone upgrade from Verizon. I went in to look at the phones and saw the prices. They don't seem to offer discounts when you are eligible to upgrade. Everything was full price and the rep said that with black Friday coming up they should have some deals. I thought that if you wanted to upgrade before you are eligible then you can but would have to pay retail value. If you are eligible then you can get discounts on the new phone you want to upgrade. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore or did I just get a rep that was trying to get me to pay full price? If they don't offer discounts when you're eligible for an upgrade then what is the purpose of being eligible? I didn't think of asking that to the rep.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Subsidized and discounted devices are going away, or have already. The best deals are going to be the BOGO that Verizon was offering on the Note 9 (or other high-profile devices during the first few weeks of availability). Otherwise, you're paying full price but the carrier offers what is essentially 0% interest loan and it's paid through your bill.

Iam3697

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Oh ok. That's interesting. I got my Droid Turbo in 2015 and got a free notebook with it. The rep said they don't do that anymore. I guess the fact that you can buy a new phone and pay it off through your bill with very little interest is nice. I'm on my dads account and he doesn't really know how Verizon this. I'm pretty good about not buying what I can't afford and I can't afford a $500 phone. But with nothing down and paying it off over time is probably a good way to go. I'll have to see if I want to do that. In the meantime, my phone still works but an upgrade would be nice.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I've moved your thread to the Verizon forum so that people who have experience with Verizon will be better able to see it

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
But with nothing down and paying it off over time is probably a good way to go.

Unfortunately, I don't think that's how it works. At least with T-Mobile (Verizon may be the same or may work different) they try to keep the monthly device payment within a certain range, if the device can't be paid off at that monthly payment level the extra becomes a down payment.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, I don't think that's how it works. At least with T-Mobile (Verizon may be the same or may work different) they try to keep the monthly device payment within a certain range, if the device can't be paid off at that monthly payment level the extra becomes a down payment.
With Verizon, they just subtract any trade in or other promotional credits from the retail price (if applicable) to get the final sale price, then divide it into 24 monthly payments. The only time they may require a down payment is if you're a new customer and/or have questionable credit history.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arlecchino