Connect Android phone to iPod dock

Nete

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I have an iHome dock and speaker. It has a usb connection for iPod shuffles. When an iPod connects to it it must send the sound info through the chord so the speakers can pick it up.

I'm wondering if it is possible to make that happen on an android phone. I have a cable that has a USB end. Any thoughts? Does this intrigue you?

Thanks!

valorian

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
You most likely will not be able to. Most Apple products have software built in to allow Apple products to connect to each other easily.

Nete

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
iHome is not by Apple but you might be right. Apple could very well have given them the needed software, so it might only connect to iPod.

valorian

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
iHome is not by Apple but you might be right. Apple could very well have given them the needed software, so it might only connect to iPod.

That's exactly right. Apple does this so only Apple products are connected to the accessories.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Does this iHome device have its own screen and controls to select tracks and play them, or does it depend on your iPod to select the tracks, then it has only play/pause/skip/volume controls?

If the iHome has its own screen, it may be programmed to accommodate older iPod Shuffles which, as I understand it, could actually be seen as USB Mass Storage devices.

But if you've got a USB port on the thing, why not just plug the phone into it and see what happens? If it works, you're golden. If it doesn't, you're wasting your time, because your Android phone would have to emulate an Apple iPhone/iPod, and I doubt you'll find anyone interested in going there. If it's got a LINE-IN cable, you can use the headphone jack on the phone to play music.