Considering Jumping back in - have a few questions

robjulo

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Previously owned the 2013 Moto X but the camera was simply too poor to keep. Considering the cybermonday deal today but have a few questions, if anyone can answer. I'm also considering the Nexus 6 or Note 4 but they may be too large.

1) How is the camera? I saw initial reviews were mixed but there seems to be some improvement with lollipop.

2) Do the Moto X voice commands interfere with Google's own commands. My recollection is the "OK Google" voice commands were essentially disabled or at the very least crippled on the 2013 version (ie the settings were grayed out). Instead there was a handoff from Moto, then to Google, causing a delay in response time. Has that improved?

3) Is there any type of messaging system that is a solid competitor to imessage. I'm talking about one that combines SMS/MMS and direct messaging into one package that is accessible from the phone and my computer.

Thanks.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Previously owned the 2013 Moto X but the camera was simply too poor to keep. Considering the cybermonday deal today but have a few questions, if anyone can answer. I'm also considering the Nexus 6 or Note 4 but they may be too large.

1) How is the camera? I saw initial reviews were mixed but there seems to be some improvement with lollipop.

2) Do the Moto X voice commands interfere with Google's own commands. My recollection is the "OK Google" voice commands were essentially disabled or at the very least crippled on the 2013 version (ie the settings were grayed out). Instead there was a handoff from Moto, then to Google, causing a delay in response time. Has that improved?

3) Is there any type of messaging system that is a solid competitor to imessage. I'm talking about one that combines SMS/MMS and direct messaging into one package that is accessible from the phone and my computer.

Thanks.
For #1, are you referring to the Moto X 2014? If so, then Camera looks to be good. Same goes for the Nexus 6 and Note 4. You can take a look at the reviews for each device, along with photo samples, here: Moto X (2014), [url=http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-6-review]Nexus 6, and Note 4/

2. Take a look at the above Moto X (2014) review for more information on the voice controls. I don't think there are any issues with it, and shouldn't interfere with Google's commands.

3. Hangouts is getting better, but still is a work in progress. Unfortunately, you might not find anything as solid as iMessage, if that's what you are used to. There are a number of apps in the Play Store that can expand on this for you, such as Push Bullet, which allows you to receive sms on your computer and respond to it rather than grabbing your device. A workaround, but something to consider if you make the jump back to Android.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
#2 - You can choose either Google voice or Moto voice. Not both. Moto gives you everything Google does plus the Moto apps functionality.

ChillyMutt

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I just returned to Android (Moto X 2014) after a year of using and iPhone 5s.

1) How is the camera?
In daylight, the camera is good (not great). In low light, I would rate the camera as poor. Image quality, ease of use and usability of software inferior to Apple.

3) Is there any type of messaging system ...
"Messenger" (side loaded Lolli app) is light years better than "Messaging" app. Not quite on par with iMessage but still very good. Moto has a companion plugin for Chrome, "Motorola Connect", it's a bit flaky but when working it's okay. Way behind Apple on this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbbunny