Conspiracy Theory

original00

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Looking at most of the Xoom reviews up, there is a consistent theme, great hardware but software is not quite fully baked (market crash, lag, sdcard and 4g). I think the reason why we didn't see a wifi only version at launch and still do not have release dates is that honeycomb is not ready yet for mass consumption. Moto obviously knows that the wifi version will sell the best so they're holding off because the backlash on mass adoption with unfinished/buggy software would be catastrophic.

So how do you remedy that and still come out early, you release the HIGHER priced version, knowing that only a few early adopters/diehard android fans will be getting this and that price will deter the average customer. I'm sure they're working on an update right now to be released before the Ipad 2 comes out. I think this update will also signal the release of other Honeycomb tablets by other manufacturers in the US.

What do u think? Am I on to something or just plain crazy lol?

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
When you buy the bleeding edge of technology, you have to expect these kind of bumps. Within a few months I'm sure we will see more than 1 update and make things much better.

Look at the OG Droid going from 2.0 to 2.1 many, many bug fixes there. Still more going to 2.2.

I'll be more than happy with mine today.

oasis9389

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
What is it with most of you and the "og Droid" the og Droid was the God dam g1. All the Droid is. Is a God dam slogan by Verizon.

superbike81

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I still don't think that the "problems" reviewers are noting are anything major enough to warrant a conspiracy of any kind.

So their apps crashed a few times. It's Android, even super stable Froyo gets crashes here and there, I have my browser force close at least once every other day, nothing new here. I know Honeycomb is supposed to be the new-coming of Android, but it's a new OS, not just an upgrade from something else. When Windows 7 came out, there were bugs right? When iOS came out? Buggy right? It always happens. People are expecting perfection out of a brand new product running a brand new operating system. It's completely unrealistic.

Does it suck that Flash isn't ready, or 4G, or the SD card? Yeah, it's not fun to not be able to utilize those features yet, but would that stop me from enjoying the Xoom? No way! I'd rather have the Xoom in it's current state right now than wait a few more months for everything to be "polished."

As long as the promised updates come, I don't see the real problem.

As far as releasing the product at a higher price to take advantage of those of us who are willing to pay whatever it takes to get it, well, that's just good business sense on their part.

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
What is it with most of you and the "og Droid" the og Droid was the God dam g1. All the Droid is. Is a God dam slogan by Verizon.

I am not trying to go off topic but I would appriciate if you refrained from swearing on the board. Try using @#!%&*-+ etc instead. Thank you.

As far as the rest of your comments most of us here are aware of the current issues with sd card etc. I am not an early adapter except when it comes to mobile equipment. I have needed a tablet for awhile to carry copies of my sons xrays on as we go from dr to dr. I also maintain a digital record of all of his therapy, appointment highlights as well as meetings with school officials. I believe a tablet will perform these tasks better than a laptop. I have carried one of those around for years and honestly I am ready for something easier to haul around.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Nothing feels like a conspiracy, what it does feel like that Android is a little bit in the future, it just feels like Star Trek or something.

Once the sdk matures and the developers get some of these tablets at IO and other events everything will be fine.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site

Ahem...if he said the "OG Android" then sure, you can call it the G1. But he said "OG Droid" which means the original Droid in Verizon's lineup...in which case he is right and you are wrong. I am an Android purist...you are a mudblood. :p

JamesKBoyd

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
What do u think? Am I on to something or just plain crazy lol?
It's just good business sense on the part of Motorola. It's definitely not a conspiracy, and you don't seem all that crazy. They just released a version for the people who are willing to pay whatever it takes to get bleeding edge technology. In time, all will be well with the Motorola Xoom. Also, Honeycomb is all new software, not just an upgrade from something else. Of course there are going to be a few problems here and there. That is what always happens with brand new tech. I'm sure that Motorola will iron it all out eventually.

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
The BGR and the Engadget review are making me think twice about spending $800 on this, and I have been looking forward to this tablet for a long time. Hmmmm what to do....

oasis9389

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Ahem...if he said the "OG Android" then sure, you can call it the G1. But he said "OG Droid" which means the original Droid in Verizon's lineup...in which case he is right and you are wrong. I am an Android purist...you are a mudblood. :p

so verizon and moto have you in their laps.. its just a marketing term for an android phone.. a "droid" is no diff than any other android phone.

you bought it hook line and sinker.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

lol at the last sentence. Spit up a little coffee.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Guys, this is the FIRST honeycomb tablet, the first tablet released made with Google love.

It's fully unlock able, it's ridiculously fast and it's BRAND NEW!

Call the Xoom whatever you want, it is what it is.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Guys, this is the FIRST honeycomb tablet, the first tablet released made with Google love.

It's fully unlock able, it's ridiculously fast and it's BRAND NEW!

Call the Xoom whatever you want, it is what it is.