Contrary to what Best Buy employee's are telling you...

mettec

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
YOU WILL LOSE YOUR UNLIMITED PLANS IF YOU ACTIVATE ANY SMART PHONE AFTER JUNE 27TH. Like many of us I too went to BB and pre-ordered the S3. I asked 2 different employee's and they both said that you will keep your unlimited data by doing a pre-order. Well after reading tons of forums on this subject I started to think twice about cancelling my BB pre-order and get it through VZW instead. So I asked a good friend of mine that works at Best Buy Corporate Headquarters if he can find out some info from someone that works in their mobile phone department. I just got an answer from him yesterday and the person that he spoke with said since the S3 is not going to be released on Verizon until July 9th and their new plans start on June 28th YOU WILL LOSE YOUR CURRENT PLAN. This is because unlike VZW when you pre-order through BB they are not locking you into a new contract until you activate the device You are only reserving the phone. When you order through VZW you are agreeing to a new contract which will keep you current plan intact. If you have a pre-order I would get your money back from the gift card and go through Verizon. If you don't believe me ask for the mobile dept. manager at BB and they should be telling you this same information.

jman5

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I had a BB preorder and canceled it earlier in the week for the same reason. Would have been $50 cheaper at BB with phone freedom discount, but not worth losing unl so just preordered thru Verizon.

FYI you must go to BB store where preorder was placed to get refund. I learned the hard way that another store won't/cannot assist with this and toll free customer service could not even locate the order since no BBY# on my receipt.

matt0715

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I had Verizon note on my account that I can keep it, so if best buy screws up my plan I can just call verizon up

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

mettec

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Verizon Support has said you'll keep it even if you do it at BB

Not after the 27th. It does not matter what BB says or what VZW puts in their notes. Verizons computer system is going to change and it will not be able to be overidden. Trust me on this. Talk to some supervisors at BB and VZW to confirm this.

iceman64

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I think your should listen to what bassman is saying, I wouldn't take a chance and lose my unlimited data plan pre-ordering from Best Buy. I read this article from droid-life from Kellex about June 28 and he also speaks about pre-ordering from BB.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/06/1...y-s3-on-verizon-and-keep-your-unlimited-data/

The question you have to ask your self "Do You Feel Lucky" lol But anyway I wouldn't take this chance and loose my unlimited plan when I can just order from vzw and keep my unlimited plan. I order my s3 the first day of pre orders (June 6) and vzw still having taken the money out of my account. If it's a matter of not having the $249.00 (32GB) or $199.00 (16GB) then you still could have maybe week and half before they take the money out of your account. As far as vzw saying they will make a notation on your account if you pre order from BB, to keep your unlimited data. I wouldn't take this chance, how many time have the CS Rep said they will make a notation on your account. Then later on there weren't any notation made on your account, or the Rep gave you the wrong information.
How about this, the $50.00 you pre-order from BB, would be the same $50 for 1GB of data if you loose your unlimited. Like I said before I wouldn't take this chance!!!!

CP2

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
In an email conversation with Verizon support, I have been assured (twice) by VZW reps that I would be able to keep my unlimited data with a Best Buy order.

First assurance:
I reviewed your account and our guidelines regarding the Samsung Galaxy S III pre- order options. As long as the device was pre-ordered before the launch date of the new plan you will be able to keep the Unlimited Data package for $29.99, once the device is delivered and applied to the line.

And when I asked again "Since I pre-ordered the phone through Best Buy, would what you said still apply? "

I was given the reply:
Per our previous email, yes those same guidelines would apply and you will be able to keep your unlimited data package on this line because it was pre-order before June 28, 2012.

firetruck41

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I had Verizon note on my account that I can keep it, so if best buy screws up my plan I can just call verizon up

Frankly, I would not hang my hat on a note a customer service rep put on my account. A Best Buy pre-order sounds more like reserving a phone to buy. There is likely no input to verizon, from best buy, that you have pre-ordered it. It is just a phone that BB is getting and will have ready for you to purchase on D-day. It will likely appear no different from VZWs point of view, than a guy just blundering into the store on D-day to look at iPhones, and then deciding to get a VZW SGSIII.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Frankly, I would not hang my hat on a note a customer service rep put on my account. A Best Buy pre-order sounds more like reserving a phone to buy. There is likely no input to verizon, from best buy, that you have pre-ordered it. It is just a phone that BB is getting and will have ready for you to purchase on D-day. It will likely appear no different from VZWs point of view, than a guy just blundering into the store on D-day to look at iPhones, and then deciding to get a VZW SGSIII.

I think you hit it on the head. When you preorder through VzW your purchasing the phone prior to the deadline. With BB your reserving a spot via deposit, but not purchasing until you get the phone. Thats a big difference as the carrier subsidy will occur after the imposed deadline, forcing you into the new plan.

EDIT - I'm not a VzW user but you guys might want to figure this one out ASAP.

VicVinegar

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I love saving money as much as the next guy, but I wasn't going to mess around with BB to save a few bucks and get the Reward Zone points.

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
i am interested in purchasing from best buy only because i like their insurance plan-- $9.99, but it covers EVERYTHING except theft. so if you break your phone, bam. new phone. actually, my friend said that they kinda don't mind people that root their phone...

but not worth losing my unlimited data... or is it?

VicVinegar

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
i am interested in purchasing from best buy only because i like their insurance plan-- $9.99, but it covers EVERYTHING except theft. so if you break your phone, bam. new phone. actually, my friend said that they kinda don't mind people that root their phone...

but not worth losing my unlimited data... or is it?

The TEP from VZW which covers loss or theft was $7.99 for the GS3 on my plan.

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The Asurion insurance from Verizon covers loss or theft?

I know that they don't cover breaking, though, right? You need to pay a subsidy to get a new phone. Best Buy doesn't.

Sent from my Incredible.
Aw yeah.

VicVinegar

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
The Asurion insurance from Verizon covers loss or theft?

I know that they don't cover breaking, though, right? You need to pay a subsidy to get a new phone. Best Buy doesn't.

Sent from my Incredible.
Aw yeah.

Calling Features: Total Equipment Coverage – now with Mobile Recovery

According to this, it covers loss, stolen, or "damage" which was described to me as accidental damage protection. I didn't even realize I had it on my plan still, but for $6.99 (not $7.99 like I said before), I'll keep it for a year I guess. After that, a replacement should be cheap enough used. It does have a $100 deductible. If BB doesn't than maybe that is a better deal.

matt0715

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Calling Features: Total Equipment Coverage ? now with Mobile Recovery

According to this, it covers loss, stolen, or "damage" which was described to me as accidental damage protection. I didn't even realize I had it on my plan still, but for $6.99 (not $7.99 like I said before), I'll keep it for a year I guess. After that, a replacement should be cheap enough used. It does have a $100 deductible. If BB doesn't than maybe that is a better deal.

Best buy has no deductible

Rebelvis

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Bassman, I said the exact same thing in another thread although some still don't believe it. I pre-ordered from BB before the Verizon announcement and had to go back, cancel and pre-order from Verizon. The simple fact is that BB does NOTHING to your account until you come in, take delivery of the phone and activate it. Barring a miracle, that will be after June 28th. Some may be able to go back to Verizon and successfully argue they were mislead by BB or whomever, but I wouldn't count on it.

It's too bad too because I'd rather deal with BB then the usual clueless staff at the Verizon stores. I got my current phone (Fascinate) from BB on a free-phone Friday sale and was pretty happy with the experience. With the new contract in effect between now and the release, I'm simply not willing to risk it and most if not all of you who do are going to be disappointed.

Thalinor

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I posted the same thing on XDA as well as emailed Droid-Life some info days ago. You will NOT keep your unlimited with Best Buy Preorders unless they manage to get the phone in, and you pick it up before June 28th. That's straight from a regional manager at Best Buy's mouth after they took several hours to research the subject, including calling Verizon Corporate.

It sucks because even though I have preorder through Verizon that I did 7am day one, I would cancel it and buy from Best Buy if this was not the case. Best Buy warranty is much better. Aasurion deductible on smartphones is now over $100

Reactions: woolster22

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Is there something we can do? preorder it from Verizon, then...trade it in to best buy or something? Return it to Verizon? Ugh.

I really can't stand this situation that Verizon has basically pushed us into. No, they're not forcing anyone, but they are putting us in pretty difficult situations.

I don't think I would be purchasing a phone now if that wasn't the case...

Sent from my Incredible.
Aw yeah.

VicVinegar

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Over on another Android forum, this was just posted last night. I mentioned that people were worried about being blindsided by BB's preorder system and this was a response to that:

"It likely will blindside them. As a Best Buy Mobile employee, I can confirm that this is indeed correct. Our system does not look at what features or plan you have until we are activating the phone. All it does is make sure you will be eligible for an upgrade when you do come to pick it up.

We will have no recourse to keep your unlimited data plan other than calling the Verizon COOS department and hoping they will play ball and re-add it for you when our system automatically removes it.

Just please don't take it out on your BBYM rep (unless they specifically informed you they could keep your data plan, then by all means have at it, because they shouldn't have said they could) if we can't do it. I see Verizon reps telling people online over and over that if you order from Best Buy you will still be able to keep your data plan. They have no idea how our system works and they assume it's like theirs. Remember, Best Buy has made none of these comments regarding your data plan, these are Verizon people saying this.

I've made sure my department at my store is informing anyone that we will be unlikely to keep their unlimited data if they purchase from us, just to avoid the storm that will inevitably follow this."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MusicChris63