Controlling volume with up / down buttons on the side of the phone

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Is there a setting that I need to change to use the up / down buttons on the side of the phone?

I'd like this to work when I am on a phone call or watching a video.

Right now, it prompts me to the vertical bar with the 3 dots on top to press to adjust the different volume sounds.

I just want to be able to press the up / down button to increase or decrease the volume.

Thanks

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You can change whether the buttons change media or call volume, but that's about it. Go to Settings, Sounds and Vibration, Volume. There you should see the 'Use volume keys for media' toggle.

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Volume keys for media - is that like if you are watching a video on youtube and you want to change the volume?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Volume keys for media - is that like if you are watching a video on youtube and you want to change the volume?

That's correct.

Are you saying that pressing the Volume buttons brings out the volume slider on the screen, but continuing to press the Volume buttons doesn't do anything to adjust the volume?

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
That's correct.

Are you saying that pressing the Volume buttons brings out the volume slider on the screen, but continuing to press the Volume buttons doesn't do anything to adjust the volume?

I am testing it now.

If I am on a phone call, to lower the volume, I actually press the side button closer to the top and when I want it louder I press the button closer to the bottom.

It is like the opposite on other phones.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's strange. Do you have Auto-rotate turned on, or is it locked in Landscape orientation? That might change the orientation for the Volume buttons as well.

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
That's strange. Do you have Auto-rotate turned on, or is it locked in Landscape orientation? That might change the orientation for the Volume buttons as well.

I figured it out why the volume controls are reversed.

It is the case that I am using.

When I remove the case the volume works normal.

I think I need a new case.

With this current case, it's even hard to do a screenshot.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I figured it out why the volume controls are reversed.

It is the case that I am using.

When I remove the case the volume works normal.

I think I need a new case.

With this current case, it's even hard to do a screenshot.

Aha, good detective work! Is the case designed for that exact model? Using a case intended for a different phone (even a different generation of the same model number) can cause problems, since there can be very subtle differences in size and button location.

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Aha, good detective work! Is the case designed for that exact model? Using a case intended for a different phone (even a different generation of the same model number) can cause problems, since there can be very subtle differences in size and button location.

Yes it was a $5 case from eBay but was designed for the phone.

I just think it might be that the buttons maybe are not 100% perfectly where it should be.

Probably just bad quality control.