Converting the Sprint One to GPe...

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious, if I convert my Sprint One to GPe, will I lose 4G/LTE?

You will probably lose complete functionality. Google Edition isn't available on CDMA. So flashing that ROM is like breaking the rule of don't flash ROMs that are not your carrier.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Sadly, that is very true. It was a key reason for me leaving Verizon after 15+ years of service. I simply got tired of waiting for great phones to arrive only to be disappointed that they were crippled, bloated, locked down and north worth using. Getting the DE of the HTC One and putting GPe on it was a great move, I have 64GB and 4.3.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Sadly, that is very true. It was a key reason for me leaving Verizon after 15+ years of service. I simply got tired of waiting for great phones to arrive only to be disappointed that they were crippled, bloated, locked down and north worth using. Getting the DE of the HTC One and putting GPe on it was a great move, I have 64GB and 4.3.

I am with Sprint, and I don't like how many phones are released that are GSM only. But as of right now, I won't leave for just the reason of a few phones.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
You will probably lose complete functionality. Google Edition isn't available on CDMA. So flashing that ROM is like breaking the rule of don't flash ROMs that are not your carrier.

Actually I'm pretty sure HTC sells the one as one phone, the same across all carriers (both hardware and software wise, prior to activation). It carries all of the bands to work on gsm networks. The problem being is that, you would have to have it unlocked from Sprint for domestic use. Of which they are currently refusing to do.

When you first get the one from sprint, the activation code you enter, or the rep enters, not only activates the phone. It also downloads a sprint configuration pack, installs it, and locks the phone to sprint only. After having your account in good standing for 90 days after your date of purchase, they will unlock the phone for international use, if you ask. However they will straight out refuse to unlock it for domestic use, and so will HTC as it has to be your carrier that unlocks it.

So theoretically speaking, if you buy the phone from sprints website. As long as you don't activate it, you should be able to use it on any network, given you have the sim, as I'm pretty sure they are sold sim unlocked. It is only when you enter a carriers activation code, that it locks the phone to that carrier.

Going back to the ops request, you should be able to flash it. But seeing as how your most likely sim locked to sprint. You won't have any service, probably not even roaming. The only thing you'll be able to do is use WiFi messaging with a VoIP app for calls.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

You could just wait till next year, when Verizon launches volte. Then you can get any phone that supports Verizon lte.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Kayone73

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
This is one of the huge disadvantages of going with a CDMA provider, those owners will always be behind in the aftermarket development game

Sent from my HTC One Sinless ver 2.8 Google Edition rom

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Anything to do with Verizon whether it's LTE, CDMA or VoLTE you will have issues and you will NOT have freedom of choice. You will not be able to just buy a Verizon LTE phone from any supplier and put their SIM in. You can with other GSM phones with LTE provided the LTE bands are their for AT&T, T-Mo, etc.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I can appreciate your situation, but I made what I felt was the best compromise. AT&T is not perfect at my home today, but I am moving in about 45 days and I will like put one of their cell extenders in with my new TWC connection and be a lot happier. AT&T LTE speeds kick Verizon LTE in the balls 3 to 1.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Anything to do with Verizon whether it's LTE, CDMA or VoLTE you will have issues and you will NOT have freedom of choice. You will not be able to just buy a Verizon LTE phone from any supplier and put their SIM in. You can with other GSM phones with LTE provided the LTE bands are their for AT&T, T-Mo, etc.

Gsm standard requires that it accepts all devices capable of being on its network. The new Nexus 7 will run on Verizon 4GLTE, obviously that is a data only device. Once Verizon volte is implemented, any device supporting Verizon's LTE bands can be used on Verizon, not just Verizon approved phones.

Next year Verizon is planning to start releasing gsm only devices (i.e. No cdma radios)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I can appreciate your situation, but I made what I felt was the best compromise. AT&T is not perfect at my home today, but I am moving in about 45 days and I will like put one of their cell extenders in with my new TWC connection and be a lot happier. AT&T LTE speeds kick Verizon LTE in the balls 3 to 1.

It is going to depend on where you are. Perhaps att is the better choice at your specific location. But overall, att certainly isn't 3x faster than Verizon lte.

Also, Verizon is testing their second 4GLTE network which runs on band 4,so there could be some relief on the way, especially if you have a verizon phone that supports band 4 lte.