Corroded USB-C port

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Just a heads up to S22/S23 owners. Protect your USB port.

So my S22U decided to be very finicky when charging about 2 months ago. I figured it was just lint/debris in the port. Then when it was only days after it's one year warranty it decided not to charge via port at all. All Samsung bricks & charging cables would not work despite those same cables worked for all other devices. I took it to Asurion/uBreakiFix yesterday to have the port replaced ($100). They reported that it was a little surprising bc my phone was in mint condition with no water damage but some corrosion on the port connection... most likely due to humidity possibly from being in pocket, bathroom while showering, etc. My phone has never seen water except for getting a few snowflakes on the screen when snowing one time & immediately wiped down after. I find it crazy that everyday humidity would cause this.

I did call Samsung only days after my warranty expired. They graciously offered me a one-time repair ticket for free but insisted that I mail it in to Texas and wait 3 weeks for repair & return. No matter how much I begged they would not allow me to use that repair ticket for their authorized repair Asurion/uBreakiFix centers. Why would I want to mail my phone into a facility where tons of phones are getting lost or stolen in transit and have to wait 3 weeks for a return? Their customer service sucks!

Anyway, going forward I'm going to use a grommet to protect my port.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah that sucks. And is also kind of weird... Do you live near the ocean or somewhere else with very salty air?

My phone already has a butt plug installed because I almost exclusibely wireless charge. I also have one for my earbuds, although I have been more concerned with pocket lint than corrosion.

Reactions: tismydroid

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
their reply makes no sense
Actually it does to me. They may want to physically see the port to see if something needs to be changed in the manufacturing process.
In my line of work, if we have an unusual or unexpected point of failure the manufacturer often wants to be on site, do the repairs or at least witness them.
It helps them reverse engineer the failure.

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
their reply makes no sense
I agree. Either they trust their authorized repair centers or they don't. C'mon, why do I want to ship my phone with all the risks involved and then wait 3 weeks? And why would Samsung want me to do that given all the risks involved. Makes no sense.

I have had Android phones since the OG Droid and owned each for at least two years. I've never had a charging port fail.

The upside is that because I had the repair done at Asurion/uBreakiFix it has extended my manufacturers warranty for another year... as per the person that fixed my phone. I hope it holds true if I need it.

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Actually it does to me. They may want to physically see the port to see if something needs to be changed in the manufacturing process.
In my line of work, if we have an unusual or unexpected point of failure the manufacturer often wants to be on site, do the repairs or at least witness them.
They could get this same information from their authorized repair centers. These repairs are reported to Samsung. Just the mere fact that "x" number of phones had port failures/repairs would give them useful information. It would be just as useful/effective for Samsung to get detailed reports from the repair center as it would from their huge facility in Texas.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree that makes sense. But making the customer wait 3 weeks when they just need to replace a board with a port on it and keep the original board for testing doesn't. That's pretty unreasonable.

Reactions: tismydroid

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
I agree that makes sense. But making the customer wait 3 weeks when they just need to replace a board with a port on it and keep the original board for testing doesn't. That's pretty unreasonable.
The board is one thing, but the shell around it may be a contributing factor.
Either way, I don't find it unreasonable.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Just a heads up to S22/S23 owners. Protect your USB port.

So my S22U decided to be very finicky when charging about 2 months ago. I figured it was just lint/debris in the port. Then when it was only days after it's one year warranty it decided not to charge via port at all. All Samsung bricks & charging cables would not work despite those same cables worked for all other devices. I took it to Asurion/uBreakiFix yesterday to have the port replaced ($100). They reported that it was a little surprising bc my phone was in mint condition with no water damage but some corrosion on the port connection... most likely due to humidity possibly from being in pocket, bathroom while showering, etc. My phone has never seen water except for getting a few snowflakes on the screen when snowing one time & immediately wiped down after. I find it crazy that everyday humidity would cause this.

I did call Samsung only days after my warranty expired. They graciously offered me a one-time repair ticket for free but insisted that I mail it in to Texas and wait 3 weeks for repair & return. No matter how much I begged they would not allow me to use that repair ticket for their authorized repair Asurion/uBreakiFix centers. Why would I want to mail my phone into a facility where tons of phones are getting lost or stolen in transit and have to wait 3 weeks for a return? Their customer service sucks!

Anyway, going forward I'm going to use a grommet to protect my port.
100 not bad , i probably would of sent it to Samsung if they would of done for free because i have other devices or just wireless charge

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
The board is one thing, but the shell around it may be a contributing factor.
Either way, I don't find it unreasonable.
That's true, but getting the board back for testing is better than the nothing they'll get back asking people to wait 3 weeks. Most people don't have a drawer full of backup phones to fall back on like many of us do and simply can't go that long without a phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12