Couldn't update because of low space on Samsung Galaxy S7

rickluc

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
Bought Samsung Galaxy S7 about a year ago. Never have deleted any of my text messages and/or email. The other day I got notice that my phone couldn't update because of lack of space. I went into storage and it shows: Internal storage 30.23GB used of 32GB, Portable storage (SD card) 39.55 GB used of 59.99GB, and system memory 9.17 GB. What can I do to free up space or is there something else I should be concerned about? Thanks

Thacy

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
According to the info you provided, it is really the time to free up your phone space.

Have no idea about the detailed usage on your phone, but multimedia files and some apps usually take up most of our phone memory. You may go to Settings> Storage, and tap Used space to check.

If you just want to make some free space to complete the update, you can remove several seldom-used apps and useless media files. After you done the job, you may find they occupied such huge room on your phone.

More tips to free up space:
1. Back up your phone data via Smart Switch or other methods and delete the files you don't need for now from your phone internal memory.
2. Move some apps and files to SD card. It seems there are still some free space on your memory card.

Last edited by a moderator:

rickluc

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
According to the info you provided, it is really the time to free up your phone space.

Have no idea about the detailed usage on your phone, but multimedia files and some apps usually take up most of our phone memory. You may go to Settings> Storage, and tap Used space to check.

If you just want to make some free space to complete the update, you can remove several seldom-used apps and useless media files. After you done the job, you may find they occupied such huge room on your phone.

More tips to free up space:
1. Back up your phone data via Smart Switch or other methods and delete the files you don't need for now from your phone internal memory.
2. Move some apps and files to SD card. It seems there are still some free space on your memory card.

In line 1. you say to delete the files I don't need.
That's my question, how do I read or discover the files I don't need? I now most of my text messages could be removed but how do I do that? Do I have to go into message+ and delete them individually, or is there away to do a group delete?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Thacy

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
If most of your message conversations are useless, you can long-press on any conversation, then check boxes should appear, and you can tick all the conersations you don't need and tap the Delete icon.

Again, you're suggested to analyze your phone memory first. If you do that, you may find text messages only take up a small amount of memory. As I said, go to Settings> Storage, tap Used space, and then check every item listed. On my Samsung, there are Applications, Pictures, videos, Audio and Downloads.
On Applications, the apps should be listed according to size, some of which can be 300 MB or over (games can be much bigger). Here you can uninstall, clear cache and data (not suggested if you still need the app), or move some apps to SD card.
For pictures, videos, audio and downloads, you can either view them with the default apps or via My Files app (assuming your s7 has an app on the same name). If you use My Files app, most images are on DCIM folder.

Important: Back up your data and files to PC or cloud first.

rickluc

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
I don't have a "used space" in settings >storage in my internal memory? I have a "explore" option that has something like 58 folders.
Twice you mentioned, multimedia files. I don't see anything called that.
My apps: are 10:99 GB and pictures/videos are 5:32 GB.
My system memory 9:17 GB.
My cached data 3:98 GB.
I'm not savvy enough to understand what your telling me!
Thanks

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Multimedia files refer to pictures, music files and videos. Delete some of them or move them to a PC or SD card.

Plus your system is huge. Probably need a cache clean

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
go to device maintenance, wait for it to finish and tap optimize now. that will clear it a lot of stuff. don't do it often as it really doesn't need done often.
back up all your pics, vids, and other easily moveable files to a storage, either offline, Google drive or Dropbox, or external HD. then delete what you don't need.