Couple of Root Questions

Sitrane

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Hello Android Central!

I am the proud new owner of a new LG Optimus V, which would make sense considering the forum I am posting on.

Anyway, I had a few questions about "rooting" my new Optimus.

Let me first say that I am no stranger to hacking hardware; I have done many a custom Firmware on my PSP and friends, so I understand the risks and what not.

However, I am slightly confused on kernals: While I understand that rooting your phone is effectively giving you access to the actual Linux software, my question is: Do I need anything else to actually run the phone?

I have seen a few different kernals listed and I honestly just want better functionality and overclockability right now.

If this guide covers everything I need, then PLEASE disregard my question and I apologize for wasting everyone's time!

http://forum.androidcentral.com/optimus-v/57485-how-root-lg-optimus-v.html

I just want to be 100% sure I am correct in my findings before I jump in feet first. =)

Seconds question: My phone ISNT activated yet because Verizon is refusing to hand over my number for another 2 months because they are evil pricks who seem to think a 2 year agreement is 2 years and 4 months but that is neither here nor there... Question is: Will this effect the actual rooting of the phone and if so, should I wait until everything is switched over and activated?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the extremely long post!

-SITRANE-

devgru82

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Hello Android Central!

I am the proud new owner of a new LG Optimus V, which would make sense considering the forum I am posting on.

Anyway, I had a few questions about "rooting" my new Optimus.

Let me first say that I am no stranger to hacking hardware; I have done many a custom Firmware on my PSP and friends, so I understand the risks and what not.

However, I am slightly confused on kernals: While I understand that rooting your phone is effectively giving you access to the actual Linux software, my question is: Do I need anything else to actually run the phone?

I have seen a few different kernals listed and I honestly just want better functionality and overclockability right now.

If this guide covers everything I need, then PLEASE disregard my question and I apologize for wasting everyone's time!

http://forum.androidcentral.com/optimus-v/57485-how-root-lg-optimus-v.html

I just want to be 100% sure I am correct in my findings before I jump in feet first. =)

Seconds question: My phone ISNT activated yet because Verizon is refusing to hand over my number for another 2 months because they are evil pricks who seem to think a 2 year agreement is 2 years and 4 months but that is neither here nor there... Question is: Will this effect the actual rooting of the phone and if so, should I wait until everything is switched over and activated?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the extremely long post!

-SITRANE-

i would wait until you activate it personally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi