Couple quick questions. How to backup after root and what can I safely delete with titanium?

ncreptile

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I have done searches everywhere for both of these questions. I dont get a straight answer or in the case of the second question NO answers..

I was told after I root, before I should do anything, to backup the entire system..
How do I do this?

Second question

In titanium root, I am trying to delete Gmail app.
I did a backup on it because I was told to backup everything, even the crap I never intended on using again. However the ap is still in red..
Is there a list of apps that are safe to remove? Im scared to death of bricking my new phone.

Thanks!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I was told after I root, before I should do anything, to backup the entire system..
How do I do this?
When you root the device you will be installing a custom recovery. Either ClockWorkMod (CWM) or TWRP (TeamWinRecoveryProject). Anyways, if you were to boot into that custom recovery you would make what is known as a Nandroid Backup which is a full exact image of your device at that point in time. It will be saved to your device and in the event of anything going wrong, as long as you can get back to your custom recovery you can RESTORE that backup to get out of trouble.

I did a backup on it because I was told to backup everything, even the crap I never intended on using again. However the ap is still in red..
Is there a list of apps that are safe to remove? Im scared to death of bricking my new phone.
In the case of Gmail app or other important apps like that, I would only FREEZE the app.

As far as removing other apps, make your Nandriod backup as described above and then your individual app backup in Titianium. If you are unsure, FREEZE the app first and see if it has an ill effects on the operation of your device. If things work out okay for a while being running FROZEN, then you can remove the app if you wish.

I'm sure there has to be a list of safe to remove apps for the S4 available online.

Good luck!

ncreptile

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Paul, I do not use gmail ever.. Will it hurt for me to delete it and clear up space?

I used chainfires rooter for my phone and neither of those programs you listed were included? Only odin.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You can remove GMAIL if you wish. Your talking about 6.5 mb of space roughly by removing it. If you wanted it back you grab it from Google Play Store.

I'm not real familiar with the rooting process for the S4.

lalec

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I have done searches everywhere for both of these questions. I dont get a straight answer or in the case of the second question NO answers..

How do I do this?

Second question

Thanks!
There is a thread over at XDA which has a list of the approximately 100 apps that many would consider to be removable bloatware. There is a detailed list which summarizes the purpose for each so you can make your own decision about what you will keep on your phone. One of the posts has a downloadable spreadsheet that you can edit:

Bloatware List [Explained] - xda-developers

Having said all that, after you freeze or disable apps using Titanium Backup Pro you can also consider using System Tuner to remove specific services that you never use but are still there using up a lot of your battery. Greenify is another app which allows you to freeze apps except that it keeps them from loading at startup and at the same time keeps them ready to run if you need them. There are plenty of threads which describe how to use both.

Also, you will still have a stock recovery after rooting if you use the CF-Auto-Root method to root.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49