Couple Rom/clockwork/backup Questions

DaveWW00

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
So i recently decided to try out SyndicateROM Frozen and I am using Genocide2.0 kernel. I had no problem installing this and it runs great. I do have a few questions though about a few things that i am sure you guys can easily answer for me:

-in Clockwork there is an option for backup/restore. I have read that this is a full back up of the phone. Since switching to syndicate rom i had one case where i rebooted the phone and i started getting a ton of forces closes. I reflashed the rom and restored everything with titanium but that took some time. in the future if i have this issue can i use the backup/restore in clockwork? do i need to reflash the rom/kernel and then do the restore or will restore also reflash the rom/kernel?
-i turned journaling on to hopefully prevent the force closes from starting again after rebooting. will journaling help that or should i not bother with it?
-when using the acs updater program is there a reason i wouldnt want to clear the cache when installing a theme or something like that?

thanks!

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
So i recently decided to try out SyndicateROM Frozen and I am using Genocide2.0 kernel. I had no problem installing this and it runs great. I do have a few questions though about a few things that i am sure you guys can easily answer for me:

-in Clockwork there is an option for backup/restore. I have read that this is a full back up of the phone. Since switching to syndicate rom i had one case where i rebooted the phone and i started getting a ton of forces closes. I reflashed the rom and restored everything with titanium but that took some time. in the future if i have this issue can i use the backup/restore in clockwork? do i need to reflash the rom/kernel and then do the restore or will restore also reflash the rom/kernel?
-i turned journaling on to hopefully prevent the force closes from starting again after rebooting. will journaling help that or should i not bother with it?
-when using the acs updater program is there a reason i wouldnt want to clear the cache when installing a theme or something like that?

thanks!

The backup and restore is a full back up. If you plan on running without enabling journaling, it is a GREAT idea to have a fresh, initial flash, back up that way you can always go back to stable without having to do it the long way.

Enabling journaling on will prevent all of those force closes, so I recommend flashing that.

I am not familiar with the ACS updater app, but traditional when flashing themes you want to wipe cache, and dalvik cache because there might be residual parts from previous themes. IF the app tells you not to wipe cache then there is a probably a reason for it. Maybe it does it automatically?

Reactions: DaveWW00

DaveWW00

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the answers.

just to clarify- when using the backup/restore in clockwork, do i need to reflash the rom/kernel first or is that done by the restore?

the acs updater app suggests clearing the caches. i was more wondering why you wouldnt want to do that (i.e. if its a good idea to do it and it wont hurt anything then why is it an option instead of automatic?).

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Its all handled by the restore in CWM, Dave. Older version of CWM like we used 3.0.0.5/3.0.0.6 etc.. didn't support FULL backup. They only did back ups of data/system/cache . Now I believe since 3.0.2.5 and definately on newer versions like 3.1.0.1-purple they do full image backup of the device.. Boot image (kernel)/system/data/cache. So when you make a backup your making an exact copy end to end of your device and same goes for the restore. Bottom line if your using CWM 3.1.0.1-purple which you should be, your restore will take care of everything in one shot. Restore, reboot and enjoy :)

Clearing the cache partition/dalvik cache partition is fine. That will clear the device out but not loose any data,etc... This I do recommend when changing themes is cache/dalvik or you will almost guaranteed end up with FC's.

Reactions: DaveWW00

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nunya