AT&T Galaxy S8 Cracked S8+ screen... repair options? Who has done this...

justicedealt

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Okay, dropped my phone, cracked the screen. Have had it almost a year. Solid phone, but the best phone I've ever had was my G S5.

So, I want to repair it myself because I think it is ridiculous to have to pay $200+ U.S. to have this done.

My question is this. Does anyone know what kit I would need? I mean, EVERYTHING works, I just hate the idea of such a nice phone having a bunch of cracks. DO I NEED a new digitizer as well, or can I just buy a kit with the new screen? Also, if anyone HAS done this, some tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated lol.

blaine07

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Best tip I can give: don’t just buy the glass for $5 as by the time you break digitizer to put it on it will cost you a lot more.

Bonus tip: if you’ve never changed a screen before this isn’t the phone to learn on. :)

cknobman

May 15, 2018
Visit site
I dropped my phone and it busted the front and back glass. Front glass so busted pieces started falling out.

I took mine to Batteries Plus to have it repaired.

$260 for the front
$40 for the back (half off when you do both at same time)
$320 out the door

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If the phone works (you can see the screen, it registers your touch), get an auto windshield repair kit. Follow any instructions for mixing any components. (DON'T wash the screen.!) Fill in all the cracks. Let it sit in the noon sun for twice the recommended time if it's a "UV-cure" type, not just a "drying" type. So if it says 15 minutes, make it from 11:45 to 12:15. Sit it so the sun's rays strike it directly (at a 90° angle.) (If it's a drying type, give it twice the recommended time.)

Then take a double-edged razor blade and very carefully (you don't want blood on the screen) hold the blade flat on the screen and slice off all the repair material that's sticking above the screen. (Aside from the work, it should cost about $5 for the kit.)

If you want to go the expensive route, and there's a Whitestone Dome Glass screen protector for your phone, put one on it. It's about $45 (still not $200) and about the best protector there is. And it will hold all the pieces together. (If you look carefully at various angles, you might see some cracks.)

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
as someone said above I highly recommend not fixing this phone if it's your first phone repair. If you decide to do it watch PLENTY of YouTube tutorials and keep a sharp eye of the videos where they broke something or came close to breaking something and stay away from those areas of the phone as much as possible

justicedealt

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I have had several of the tempered glass covers and not one of them lasted longer than a couple of weeks. What I was wanting to know is could the phone be repaired without having to buy a new digitizer, meaning could I take the screen off separate from the digitizer. There are kits with the screen, all of the tools and the special glue to put it back together. Basically, they make them with everything except the heat gun, which I already have. I guess when I asked the question initially, I wasn't exactly sure what I was wanting to ask, nor how to lol.

blaine07

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I have had several of the tempered glass covers and not one of them lasted longer than a couple of weeks. What I was wanting to know is could the phone be repaired without having to buy a new digitizer, meaning could I take the screen off separate from the digitizer. There are kits with the screen, all of the tools and the special glue to put it back together. Basically, they make them with everything except the heat gun, which I already have. I guess when I asked the question initially, I wasn't exactly sure what I was wanting to ask, nor how to lol.

Unless you have a lot of experience, more often than not you WILL break digitizer while separating glass from it. Even pros that have done tons break it while doing such. I still stand where I stood; I highly recommend against it. I also believe they use heat plates rather than heat gun so they get even heat to heat up the adhesive holding screen to digitizer.

Do what you need to do, just mentally and financially be prepared to buy a screen when this doesn’t quite go as planned.

acles003

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Just went to a repair place called UBREAKIFIX (you break, I fix) which are an authorized Samsung repair shop.

The guy basically showed me that the whole front of the phone was one big piece that would be replaced.

Cost $240. Took about 2 hours.

PokeyStabby

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Just went to a repair place called UBREAKIFIX (you break, I fix) which are an authorized Samsung repair shop.

The guy basically showed me that the whole front of the phone was one big piece that would be replaced.

Cost $240. Took about 2 hours.

Did they happen to replace it with a new battery and metal frame as well? I'm considering repairing through UBREAKIFIX and some reviews mention those parts are also included with glass/display replacements.