Cracked screen - has Whitestone Dome and a UAG case on... Both are fine....

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
So,

Never dropped, nothing ever hit it...

The screen appears to be shattered BENEATH the dome. You can see that the UAG and the dome are untouched. All the damage originated from beneath the dome.

I don't keep it in my pockets, and I have never sat on it.

It's the 512GB purple unlocked version.... I have Verizon TEP insurance, and I wonder if they will even have them in stock...

Manufacturing defect?

I haven't had a cracked phone in 15 years!

Screenshot_20180928-150945_Textra.jpgScreenshot_20180928-150949_Textra.jpg

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Curved screen. To get the curve, they heat the edges, then bend the almost-red glass around a form. Then they have to cool it properly to relieve all the stresses caused by the bending. A few degrees off, or a few seconds off and the glass still has some stresses. The pressure of the pocket against the glass, transmitted through the Dome, could have caused the crack. (That's why I hate curved screens.)

I've never cracked a screen either - and I repaired phones for years - but I've never put a phone in my pants pocket since my last flip phone.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So,

The screen appears to be shattered BENEATH the dome. You can see that the UAG and the dome are untouched. All the damage originated from beneath the dome.

It's the 512GB purple unlocked version.... I have Verizon TEP insurance, and I wonder if they will even have them in stock...

Manufacturing defect?

View attachment 291272View attachment 291273

Its definitely the screen or the protector? Cant tell by the pictures

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Is there any situation in which this would be covered by warranty because of the nature of and location of the crack?

atlas9171

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Is there any situation in which this would be covered by warranty because of the nature of and location of the crack?

Probably not, they will simply claim it was dropped and you can't prove it wasn't. Kind of screwed, which is why I suggested taking it up with Whitestone, just say it was dropped.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
This is why I HATE the curved glass. Just doesn't have much of a purpose and takes useful screen real estate away.

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
*update*

Good news. I called, and with my Verizon insurance (and the market location I'm within), Verizon will send someone to my house or work and replace my screen for a $29.99 deductible.

Win!!

Actually, unless there's a limit on claims, that's cheaper than a replacement screen protector! I'll skip the protector from now on!

Shawn0813

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
*update*

Good news. I called, and with my Verizon insurance (and the market location I'm within), Verizon will send someone to my house or work and replace my screen for a $29.99 deductible.

Win!!

Actually, unless there's a limit on claims, that's cheaper than a replacement screen protector! I'll skip the protector from now on!

Can't beat 29.99

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Good luck trying but IMO it won't matter. Any crack will be seen as user induced.

When the glass comes from Corning its flat and whatever durabiility numbers you see are based on flat glass. Once you have manufacturers needing that glass to be formed to spec, it's my guess the numbers go out the window and I've always believed the curved edges are the weakest point when they are reheated to shape the curve.

I remember when following the Note 7 site, there were much more reports of glass cracking when they said they did nothing at all and ou always see it crack from the curved sides and spider out. or much more sensitive to crack at small drops. My buddy drops his Note 7 maybe 3 feet and cracked. Nothing like the 5 ft demonstrations on Cornings website.

It's nice to see them reduce the curve every year and I'd personally be glad if they phased it out so it becomes easier to get quality glass protectors cheap. Just glassed my wife and daughters 6s and X with Ankar or Spigen glass full adhesive backing for about $9 a piece.

I'd definitely let Samsung know if it cracked from within. Could be a build issue.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
So,

Manufacturing defect?

View attachment 291272View attachment 291273

Can you take a pic without screen protector?

wilsodw

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Probably not and have not installed my dome yet, but with that glass dome and all that glue down the sides kinda makes me wonder if a phone is designed to dissipate heat does it or can it with added glass? Maybe the question is with super duper screen protectors can it dissipate heat effectively.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Phones already have to deal with heat cases wrapped around most of its body anyways... I imagine a layer of glass or plastic over a screen won't be any worse.

Probably not and have not installed my dome yet, but with that glass dome and all that glue down the sides kinda makes me wonder if a phone is designed to dissipate heat does it or can it with added glass? Maybe the question is with super duper screen protectors can it dissipate heat effectively.

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
This is why I HATE the curved glass. Just doesn't have much of a purpose and takes useful screen real estate away.

Samsung really needs to either drop these curved displays or at the very least sell a version with a flat display. While they look cool, they're easier to break, harder to get screen protectors for, cases aren't as protective, reduces usability of screen, more prone to phantom touchs, and can distort images. It's the epitome of form over function