Crap Bluetooth Stack

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so I've been a long-time Windows Phone user.
I'm still rocking my 4 year old Lumia Icon, as there isn't a better Windows Phone on Verizon.
Every year or so, I give Android another try to see if I like it any more.
I would say that it keeps getting better, but still hasn't convinced me to switch.
The biggest issue deals with Bluetooth.

On Windows Phone, if I'm on Bluetooth (or a wired headset), there is an option of announcing text messages, asking if I want it to be read, and asking if I want to reply.
I've yet to find any Android setting or app that facilitates this functionality.
I've seen some apps (Verizon's Messaging+) that will announce every message every time, but I don't want an announcement, unless I'm on Bluetooth or a wired headset.
I've seen a few paid apps that will allow you to choose from a few pre-defined responses, but none that will let you just say a response.
Is it really impossible to do this, on Android?

As a secondary thing...
I have a Bluetooth-FM transmitter (my car doesn't have Bluetooth).
My motorcycle helmet also has Bluetooth.
With my Windows Phone, I can hold the call button of the transmitter (or helmet) and it will bring up Cortana for voice commands.
I haven't found any means of initiating voice commands (Google Voice or Cortana), via button on Android.

I would think that Android's Bluetooth stack would be much fuller than Windows Phone's (from years ago), but it just doesn't seem to be the case.
I'm not trying to bash Android or glorify Windows Phone (honestly, I'm starting to get tired of it's many issues).
But between my car, motorcycle, lawn mower, gym, etc..., I use Bluetooth or wired headsets a lot.
To me, this is a huge deal (and a deal-breaker).
I've talked to multiple Android-using friends and they don't even do these things.
I may be in a minority, I'm not sure.

I appreciate any help that can be given...
JJ

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
On Windows Phone, if I'm on Bluetooth (or a wired headset), there is an option of announcing text messages, asking if I want it to be read, and asking if I want to reply.
I've yet to find any Android setting or app that facilitates this functionality.

This is probably the most common feature of Windows Phone that users ask about when changing to Android. You can use Google Assistant and say "Ok Google, show my my messages." It should then ask you if you want to hear the messages, and also give you the option to reply by dictating a message. https://help.republicwireless.com/h...ogle-Assistant-to-Read-Text-Messages-Out-Loud

With my Windows Phone, I can hold the call button of the transmitter (or helmet) and it will bring up Cortana for voice commands.
I haven't found any means of initiating voice commands (Google Voice or Cortana), via button on Android.

This might depend on the Bluetooth headset you have. I've had headphones before that activate Google Assistant if you press and hold one of the buttons (but my current LG Tone Pro HBS-770 doesn't do this).

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
For the message readout (automatic) you can also check if your phone has a Driving mode, which would do jsut that for calls and messages (and allow you to reply via voice as well)

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Really? haha Wow, this is why it takes people time to adjust to a new OS haha

If I remember correctly (it's been years since I used it), you can define a default text response that it will send them when they text or call.
Plus, I think it ONLY works with Bluetooth (no wired headset option).
JJ

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
So, I finally bit the bullet.
I purchased a used LG V30.

I'm still getting used to a lot of things, but I am finding that holding the talk button in my car brings up Google Assistant and listens for voice commands.
That's something that didn't work on other phones or other versions of Android (not sure which).
I just installed Pie, last night, so it could be an OS difference.
I haven't tried it with any of my other bluetooth devices, though.

I did look at Driving Mode of one messaging app (Verizon Message+) and it allows a specific automated response (still no vocal response).
JJ

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I've been playing with some different apps.

I used Tasker to automatically start Pandora, when bluetooth connects.
It won't launch Pandora, if Always On Display is active (or, I haven't figured out how to).
If I disable AOD, I can pass the Display - Turn On function and then launch Pandora.
Unfortunately, if Pandora is already running, it will error and not function.
I haven't figured out how to kill Pandora as a first step (there is a function to Kill App, but it hasn't worked on anything that I've tested).
Tasker is a paid app, so I had to spend money to get functionality that was free on Windows Phone (Gadgets app).

I also tried YouBlue (free app), but it also wouldn't work with Always On Display.
I had already paid for Tasker, at that point, so I just uninstalled it.

I've been playing with ReadItToMe to read/reply to text messages over bluetooth and wired headsets.
It's a paid app, but I'm still in the trial period.
If I can't get Tasker to do voice text, then I'll have to buy this.
It seems to be working, although it doesn't add my response to the text thread.
It also doesn't mark the text as read, so it keeps notifying me that I have an unread message.
Of course, I can turn that off within the messaging app (Pulse).
It wouldn't remove it from notifications, though.

As a secondary thing, I'm also using Tasker to launch my nightstand clock (Alarm Clock For Me) when I put the phone on the wireless charger.
JJ

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hohenheimofdarkness