Crazy question about charging.

pawj112

May 20, 2012
Visit site
I usually have between 60% and 70% battery left at night when i go to bed. Is it ok to charge with that much battery left or should i use it for a couple days before charging? I have heard that i may have an issue with battery memory or something. Thanks and sorry for the dumb question.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Lithium-Ion batteries do not suffer from memory loss problems. In fact, its better to charge the battery at the highest possible level rather than draining it every night.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2.

Rogus

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Not exactly the answer to your question, but something many people don't think about when charging overnight:

Consider, for a second, your evening routine. After washing up and slipping into pajamas, the last thing you do before hitting the pillow is drop your phone into a charger. Cell phone users around the world have all adopted this habit. But could it be bad for your phone's long-term battery life?

Leaving your phone to re-charge overnight is convenient—you're able to wake up in the morning to a full phone battery that will last through the workday and into the evening. But leaving your phone plugged in after reaching 100 percent is not best for your phone's battery long-term.

Tech tips blog Lifehacker shares some strategies for prolonging a device's battery life, including this advice about leaving a phone to charge overnight:

Similarly, lithium-ion batteries don't need to be charged all the way to 100%. ... If you do charge it to 100%, don't leave it plugged in. This is something most of us do, but it's another thing that will degrade your battery's health.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Not exactly the answer to your question, but something many people don't think about when charging overnight:

Consider, for a second, your evening routine. After washing up and slipping into pajamas, the last thing you do before hitting the pillow is drop your phone into a charger. Cell phone users around the world have all adopted this habit. But could it be bad for your phone's long-term battery life?

Leaving your phone to re-charge overnight is convenient?you're able to wake up in the morning to a full phone battery that will last through the workday and into the evening. But leaving your phone plugged in after reaching 100 percent is not best for your phone's battery long-term.

Tech tips blog Lifehacker shares some strategies for prolonging a device's battery life, including this advice about leaving a phone to charge overnight:

Similarly, lithium-ion batteries don't need to be charged all the way to 100%. ... If you do charge it to 100%, don't leave it plugged in. This is something most of us do, but it's another thing that will degrade your battery's health.

Good point, I have yet to worry about that though because Lithium-Ion batteries discharge once they hit 100% and begin to recharge at 95%. I'm sure it's best to remove the battery, but I've also heard that leaving it on the charger won't have a negative effect. So much complications in regards to batteries. :)

ballroomdru

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
I forgot where I read this but I have heard it is best to not leave it plugged in after it reaches 95% and to not let it drop below 15%. Lion batteries apparently die faster if you deep discharge (fully drain) them often. I have taken to putting my phone on the charger when I wake up in the morning and either the last hour at work or the hour I am home before going to bed. With the MAXX that means I will rarely see below 40% I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hooded88