Crowdstrike affecting samsung tablet

Mirador

Jul 20, 2024
Visit site
Hello, I've got a Samsung Tab A 2016 which has given faultless service until yesterday.

Been searching for anything related to the crowdstrike issue affected Android systems but absolutely nothing found.

My email apps no longer work, chrome browser stalls. Newspaper app fails to load content. All fine for years until yesterday.

The crowdstrike only talks about Microsoft issues but does anyone else have Android issues?

I know many will think why do you have such an old tablet buy it's worked until yesterday.

Do I wait and see if it comes back or reluctantly buy a new one.

Thanks very much

SeeBeeEss

Jan 5, 2019
Visit site
CrowdStrike only affects users who are using both their security software and Microsoft software on enterprise computer systems. Given that you are using neither on your Samsung Tab A, the issue is related to either hardware or software found on your tablet. Have you downloaded and installed any new software recently? If so, uninstalling it or even a factory reset may rectify your issues. If not, you probably have malfunctioning hardware and will need to replace the tablet.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Mirador

Jul 20, 2024
Visit site
Thanks for the replies but it's very much a coincidence that so much has gone wrong since yesterday. Seems too much of a coincidence. 8 years trouble free until yesterday. No changes made for weeks to software

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Crowdstrike wouldn't directly affect your device; however, it certainly could affect other big companies and their networks. So it's possible that you're seeing glitches with certain websites (and that newspaper app) because those particular companies were affected.

Which email app and email provider are you using?

Mirador

Jul 20, 2024
Visit site
Crowdstrike wouldn't directly affect your device; however, it certainly could affect other big companies and their networks. So it's possible that you're seeing glitches with certain websites (and that newspaper app) because those particular companies were affected.

Thanks B.Diddy for your reply.
I have a Gmail account that has stopped working on the Samsung email app and the Gmail app. Emails arrive but opening them causes the apps to stop. Also have typeapp and same scenario. Newspaper is the Telegraph app. Again, app opens but no content is visible. I checked with someone else who also has a Tab A -not used since January- and exactly the same symptoms. I'm hoping it will all just suddenly work again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Mirador

Jul 20, 2024
Visit site
Try clearing the app cache for the email apps and force stop them, then try again. To go a step further, you can also try clearing the app data for those apps, but that might require you to add those email accounts back again.

I would also try clearing the app cache/data for the other apps that are crashing.

If none of that works, try also wiping the system cache partition: https://www.hardreset.info/devices/samsung/samsung-t580-galaxy-tab-a-101-2016-wifi/recovery-mode/
I reinstalled the telegraph app but no joy. Tried all the usual things too.
Google Chrome update resolved it. Noticed it was last updated 2 days ago.

Reactions: B. Diddy

SeeBeeEss

Jan 5, 2019
Visit site
I would be very surprised if there were no Windows computers at all in Google's huge infrastructure. Only takes one of those in a critical role to be affected to impact on Googles ability to deliver its online services such as GMail.
While it is theoretically possible that a large tech company such as Google could decide to employ a Microsoft enterprise system and also use CrowdStrike cybersecurity software, I would imagine that most would employ their own security solutions rather than buy it from (and gamble their reputation on) a third party. The CrowdStrike issue did not affect individual Microsoft computers like yours or mine (or an individual user at Google). There are no reports of Gmail, Chrome or Google issues related to CrowdStrike and more than one or two users would be impacted if there were. As well, the Telegraph app worked fine for me when I tested it. There is also a theoretical possibility that a cellular provider or ISP could've been impacted by an issue such as the CrowdStrike issue, but once again no reports - and we know how much noise people make when their cellular provider or ISP goes down 😉. We would most likely have heard about it somewhere very quickly. But, once again, no reports that I am aware of.

Mirador

Jul 20, 2024
Visit site
Assume it was a coincidence, but very surprising it happened exactly the same day. I read the Telegraph every day on the tablet and have done, trouble free with that and everything else, until Friday.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Assume it was a coincidence, but very surprising it happened exactly the same day. I read the Telegraph every day on the tablet and have done, trouble free with that and everything else, until Friday.
I still think The Telegraph themselves may have been affected by Crowdstrike, which is why the app was having issues. There's this cryptic X post they made: . And when searching for this issue, I also found this result (but couldn't access the article due to a paywall):

Screenshot 2024-07-21 11.09.41 AM.png

SeeBeeEss

Jan 5, 2019
Visit site
I still think The Telegraph themselves may have been affected by Crowdstrike, which is why the app was having issues. There's this cryptic X post they made: . And when searching for this issue, I also found this result (but couldn't access the article due to a paywall):

View attachment 364210
While the Daily Telegraph in Australia may have indeed been impacted by Crowdstrike 🤷‍♂️, Mirador introduced themself as being from Sussex, England. The UK based Telegraph app screenshot just now:
1000002355.png

Mirador

Jul 20, 2024
Visit site
I'm very puzzled by the problem. The Telegraph UK edition worked fine on an iPad but not on my tablet. Luckily an update to Chrome resolved all my issues which were numerous.

Reactions: SeeBeeEss

SeeBeeEss

Jan 5, 2019
Visit site
I'm very puzzled by the problem. The Telegraph UK edition worked fine on an iPad but not on my tablet. Luckily an update to Chrome resolved all my issues which were numerous.
Welcome to the crazy world of technology. 😉 I tested the Telegraph app on my Android phone shortly after you indicated that it was one of your issues and I had no problem using it. Glad to hear that it appears all of your issues were resolved with a Chrome update.

If I were you, irrespective of your issues being resolved, I would still give some consideration to upgrading your tablet when you can afford to do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laura Knotek

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh, so the Telegraph app works after updating Chrome? That's not too unusual, because many apps will rely on the browser (or some form of it) to access information on the web. If Chrome is out of date, various apps that access the web might also have issues.

russ_andCent

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site
Don't forget that even domains that don't deploy CS themselves have applications that have dependencies that pull from domains that do.

So even if you research a particular domain's tech stack and they don't use CS themselves, the orgs that host their dependencies might.

Reactions: B. Diddy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pokerface8529