current direction of Android?

rajmalik

Sep 13, 2018
Visit site
Just today, I got the security update on Android 9, and I think Chrome updated too. Now, the tab cards (when you hit the button that shows the open tabs in a swipable format) have a white border, and they sit on a white background. Looks amateurish, and I don't understand how that got accepted as a release candidate. I'm not a fashionista; this is just yet another example of a strange lack of quality control.

On Android 9, we can no longer use the quick menu for connecting Bluetooth headphones. This has turned my awesome Pixel Buds into a good 30 second project everytime I want to connect them Facebook Netflix Skype, which doesn't sound like much, but I'm usually putting on/wearing headphones when I'm rushing somewhere and seconds matter.

Also, the fact that the top bar uses a default split, assuming you have a notch and rendering the middle space useless on all non-notch phones, is asinine. What a terrible design choice they just forced on a billion of their users.

Also, the notification bars on the lock screen are STILL ridiculously hard to swipe at times. I've seen this bug reported for a very long time, and yet still nothing is done about it?

Just where is Android headed, guys?

Last edited:

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Just today, I got the security update on Android 9, and I think Chrome updated too. Now, the tab cards (when you hit the button that shows the open tabs in a swipable format) have a white border, and they sit on a white background. Looks amateurish, and I don't understand how that got accepted as a release candidate. I'm not a fashionista; this is just yet another example of a strange lack of quality control.

The light colors seem to be the current trend, but it may be a view of something on the horizon - DARK MODE. When not in dark mode, it will look like you're seeing, dark mode would change it to black or some other dark color.

On Android 9, we can no longer use the quick menu for connecting Bluetooth headphones. This has turned my awesome Pixel Buds into a good 30 second project everytime I want to connect them, which doesn't sound like much, but I'm usually putting on/wearing headphones when I'm rushing somewhere and seconds matter.

You need to reconnect your Pixel Buds EVERY TIME? Are you using them with another device? I don't have Pixel Buds but none of my FOUR Bluetooth devices require anything more than simply turning them on, they just simply connect automatically. Zolo Liberty+, Anker Soundbuds Surge, Plantronics Voyager Legend and some Anker Bluetooth puck in my car.

Also, the fact that the top bar uses a default split, assuming you have a notch and rendering the middle space useless on all non-notch phones, is asinine. What a terrible design choice they just forced on a billion of their users.

Yeah, I don't get this either. I'm not a fan of this choice.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I moved this from the Android Apps forum to the Pie forum, since the former is intended for devs to promote their apps.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site