custom notifications

dwade62

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I came from a Blackberry. You could set custom ringtones for different notifications (email, text voicemail etc).

I have put some custom ringtones on my Atrix. If I go into Settings/Sound, you have the choice of:
1: Incoming calls/phone ringtone and
2:Notifications.

All my custom ringtones show up in the phone ringtones. BUT in the Notifications, only the standard ringtones that came with the phone show up.

1. Can you use your custom ringtones for Notifications? If yes, how do you do this.
and if so
2.Is there a way to use a different custom ringtone for each notification (email, text, voicemail,etc)?

Thanks
Don

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes, you just have to get the tones in the correct folder and I can't locate that info right off hand. I'm looking but I'm sure someone will give the answer before I can find it

To set the ringtone for each application, look around in the settings of the application (text, email, etc)

Reactions: dwade62

dwade62

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Ok that's good to know it can be done. Hopefully someone can direct me as to which files to put them into.

Thanks
Don

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
In your SD card, make the following folders (if they don't already exist).

media/audio/alarms - put your custom alarm sounds in this folder
media/audio/notifications - put your custom notification sounds in this folder
media/audio/ringtones - put your custom ringtones in this folder

Then they will show up in the appropriate sound list.

stolen from another forum

mdunn1066

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if anyone mentioned it but, there is an app called Light Flow, it is very similar to bebuzz, allows you to customize led colors, notification speed/frequency, repeat alerts etc, very handy app

dwade62

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
According to the FILE app,these are the files on my SD card:
camera
dcim
lost.dir
mobile
music
pictures
podcast
ringtones
video
Music pictures ringtones are empty.

If I open the mobile file, it has :
music
picture
podcast
video
That music file contains my ringtones.

Where would I make the new files? In the mobile file, or the prior music file? I had used Motorola Media Link to sync the files, so I'm assuming it's what put the files where they are.

dwade62

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if anyone mentioned it but, there is an app called Light Flow, it is very similar to bebuzz, allows you to customize led colors, notification speed/frequency, repeat alerts etc, very handy app

Yea, I have that installed. It is a nice app. But, when you go into its notiifcation sound settings it brings up the phone's standard ringtones.

Don

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Yea, I have that installed. It is a nice app. But, when you go into its notiifcation sound settings it brings up the phone's standard ringtones.

Don

Do you see an option to open anything with "Files"?
I actually use Handcent as my SMS app, and it comes with a file exploring part of the app which can be used throughout any other part of the phone. It's labeled as "Music" by default, but it supports all kinds of files. Every ringtone/sound file on my SD card shows up when I click a notification setting in some area of the phone (or even another, different app), and select Handcent's "Music" to search for my files.

P.S: Using what I just described, (I have Light Flow as well), Light Flow easily allows you to choose anything from your SD Card.

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
According to the FILE app,these are the files on my SD card:
camera
dcim
lost.dir
mobile
music
pictures
podcast
ringtones
video
Music pictures ringtones are empty.

If I open the mobile file, it has :
music
picture
podcast
video
That music file contains my ringtones.

Where would I make the new files? In the mobile file, or the prior music file? I had used Motorola Media Link to sync the files, so I'm assuming it's what put the files where they are.

I THINK you can dump your ringtones into that ringtones folder and create another folder for for notifications and drop your notification tones in that folder.

Can anyone confirm/deny this?

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
The app "Rings extended" should take care of your problem. lets you choose any ringer for notifications/ringtones. Won't change alarms though.

Reactions: dwade62

dwade62

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
The app "Rings extended" should take care of your problem. lets you choose any ringer for notifications/ringtones. Won't change alarms though.

Thanks! I downloaded it and now have access to all my ringtones for my notifications.

I still would like to know, though, the correct folders to put these ringtones into.

Jess Hickey.. I appreciate your help and responses. I'll try to create some folders as you said and see if that works.
Don

dwade62

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Jess Hickey

Your suggestion worked!!! I added the folder "notifications", put the ringtones inside it, and they now show up as choices now for email, text..

Thanks for everyones help!!:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Isy315g