Custom ringtones for calls

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
I am wondering if there is a fix or just an issue with custom ringtones as I have never had this problem with blackberry or iphone. I have custom ringtones set up for different people and my headquarters. So I have all my work people and headquarters assigned a specific ringtone and the problem is that it doesn't always work and most of the time just rings the tone I have set up for a normal call. Any ideas why? It's really annoying to have one set up, hear the phone ringing, and look and its not the right person. I have never had a phone not play proper ringtone everytime when assigned to a person. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Torrey

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi Matt,

No unfortunately not, it doesn't matter if I am using my phone and get a call or my phone is just sitting there and I get a call, there isn't a clear reason why sometimes the right ringtone works and other times it doesn't. My boss might call and the right ringtone works and then might call back later and the standard ringtone rings instead of the one set up.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
have you set up the proper path to "find" the ringtome on your SD card? Under media make a subfolder "audio", then another subfolder under audio named "ringtones" (with an "s") also make a file for "notifications" for texts and other events. also a file for "alarms" -- there can be duplicates

Last edited:
G

GenericMessage

This is odd.

Now are you sure these ringtones are actually on your device/card?
Because its sounding like your phone isn't properly recognizing them.

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
Tell me its odd...I know :)

Yes they are on there it's just not every time will it play the proper ringtone. Even when I go into contacts, options, it shows what ringtone should play and when I go to select a ringtone it's in there and plays just fine but it's never consistent. One time it plays the right tone and the next it plays the standard one I have set up for any other incoming call.

G

GenericMessage

Tell me its odd...I know :)

Yes they are on there it's just not every time will it play the proper ringtone. Even when I go into contacts, options, it shows what ringtone should play and when I go to select a ringtone it's in there and plays just fine but it's never consistent. One time it plays the right tone and the next it plays the standard one I have set up for any other incoming call.

So it switches!?

Sounds like there is something wrong with the phone, not the user.
Swap 'er out!

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
Well when I go into contacts and option for that contact I can only select one ringtone per contacts regardless if they have a home/work number or not. Even my headquarters only has one number and when they call it sometimes rings the appropriate tone and other times it rings the standard one and more often than not it rings the standard and not the custom.

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
apps are:
email
News and Weather
Battery life
Pure Calendar widget
Panda home
Home++
Sportstap
missed call
swype
easy money
tech buzz
google voice
weather channer
f*## my life widget

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Well when I go into contacts and option for that contact I can only select one ringtone per contacts regardless if they have a home/work number or not. Even my headquarters only has one number and when they call it sometimes rings the appropriate tone and other times it rings the standard one and more often than not it rings the standard and not the custom.

Yeah, I know the ringtone is attached to the entire contact and not specific for each phone number (work, home, mobile) in that contact.

What I'm thinking is that maybe the person is in your contact list two different ways. i.e. -- "Bob" is ringtone XYZ. "Bob" has home and work numbers in it. Bob is also somewhere else in your contacts with a mobile number and you haven't set up a ringtone for that contact - so it defaults. When you see Bob calling, and hear ringtone XYZ - you're happy. Then he calls from his mobile and it goes to default - 'cause that number wasn't part of the contact set up with ringtone XYZ. You're thinking it's phone error 'cause caller ID shows "Bob" and when you check your contacts and make sure that "Bob" is ringtone XYZ, you assume phone error. Just duble, triple check that "bob" isn't in your contacts twice.

Of course, if Bob only calls from one number and the ringtone is just hit or miss -- then... I dunno.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I see you're also running missed call. Have you set up a ringtone thru missed call and then maybe a task killer is shutting down missed call sometomes and that's why it's not consistent? I didn't see a task killer in your apps list. are you running one?

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
I get what your saying on being in contacts in several places and that would make sense but it would be like Bob calling from one number only and it's hit or miss on what ringtone rings.

No I am not running a task killer, I was and did some reviewing and my battery and apps are running better now without one but I had the same issue with and without a task killer.

I appreciate the effort as well and def hope you got more sugs :)

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I'll keep thinking about this. I don't do many custom ringtones - 1 only for my wife, everyone else is the same. We'll think of something

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maddy2005