Dancing between iPhone and S6E for the last two weeks...help!

shath32

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
I apologize in advance for the long post.

So I recently upgraded from an iPhone 5 to an s6E 32GB white. I figured why not since the iPhone was the only apple product I owned. I really loved the Edge, everything about it felt high quality.

My main problems started to arise from the battery. I was only averaging about 6-8 hours on a full charge. The most taxing thing I would do is text, listen to music, and have my running app open for about an hour at the gym. Other times I would mainly be texting mixed in with occasional web browsing.

I also seemed to have a problem with notifications. They would either show up on my lock screen or decide not to show up at all. In addition, I had troubles getting the phone to vibrate when I received a notification, or for the lockscreen to light up upon receiving a notification.

The biggest problem happened when I had gone home that weekend (I am a college student) I had almost no service. I was getting 1 bar of Verizon 1x and if I was lucky, a singular bar of 3G. I charged my phone to 100%, took it off the charger, and went to bed at 11pm. The following morning I woke up at 10 AM and my phone was at 43%. I had not used it at all since I went to bed. On top of all of this, it kept dropping the signal for my home wifi. When I had my iPhone I had around 3 bars of LTE and no wifi problems.

I absolutely could not handle the problem with no signal. I am about to be home for summer and I can't go for possibly 3 months without signal. When I returned to school, I went to the Best Buy I got the phone from and exchanged it for an iPhone 6 64GB. It was sad, because I really liked everything about the S6E build quality. As I type this from my iPhone, I can still feel the differences in quality compared to the S6E.

I now find myself missing my S6E and I am considering giving it another try. There are a few problems and I have a couple of questions.

Should I still expect there to be issues with service, battery and notifications? Are the problems that I had common with the S6E? Are they things that can or will be fixed?

My area no longer has 32 GB units, but they have 64 GB. I find I have used about 20gigs on my iPhone 64 GB. Is it worth the extra $100 for it?.

I originally upgraded on April 12th, then changed to an iPhone 6 on April 19th. Best Buy does 14 returns or exchanges on phones, would they still let me exchange since I got the iPhone on the 19th, I'm not sure if the 14 days resets?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Unless the device was defective, the issues will still be there if you get the S6E. That being said, if you are getting noticeably better signal with the iPhone, it's definitely possible you had a bad phone. I'm not sure if BB has a limit on how many times you can exchange phones..if you try it again and you still have the issue, you might be stuck with it if they decide to not let you return it.
The iPhone 6 is still a great phone. Hardware wise, I'd say they're pretty close. Fantastic cameras, displays, and build quality. The iPhone does have better battery from what I've seen though.

It's really up to you depending on which OS you prefer. If you don't mind iOS, I'd say sticking with that and getting better service at home is a better choice. No good having a great phone you can't use

shath32

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Unless the device was defective, the issues will still be there if you get the S6E. That being said, if you are getting noticeably better signal with the iPhone, it's definitely possible you had a bad phone. I'm not sure if BB has a limit on how many times you can exchange phones..if you try it again and you still have the issue, you might be stuck with it if they decide to not let you return it.
The iPhone 6 is still a great phone. Hardware wise, I'd say they're pretty close. Fantastic cameras, displays, and build quality. The iPhone does have better battery from what I've seen though.

It's really up to you depending on which OS you prefer. If you don't mind iOS, I'd say sticking with that and getting better service at home is a better choice. No good having a great phone you can't use

Thank you for the input! I'd like to think I just had a defective unit, but upon some further research, I found its happening to a lot of Verizon customers

DSMpowerhousegroup

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Some of us are getting incredible battery life out of the S6 Edge. Not sure what we're doing differently. I get no less than 15 hours on a charge. I'm a hard user. Screen on time is running up on 6 hours.

Posted via the Android Central App

shath32

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Some of us are getting incredible battery life out of the S6 Edge. Not sure what we're doing differently. I get no less than 15 hours on a charge. I'm a hard user. Screen on time is running up on 6 hours.

Wow that's incredible! I was really expecting something like that, but I was averaging 8 hours, most of the time less.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree with DSM, I was having some battery issues and after a hard reset my battery life on my edge is simply OUTSTANDING!!! I'm a power user and can get through a full day after taking battery off in the AM @ 100 percent and still have plenty left in the evening when I get home.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the input! I'd like to think I just had a defective unit, but upon some further research, I found its happening to a lot of Verizon customers

Side note, I have already converted 2 iphone loyalists. One went for the S6, the other S6 Edge and swear by their kids they will never go back to ios again......lol

shath32

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Side note, I have already converted 2 iphone loyalists. One went for the S6, the other S6 Edge and swear by their kids they will never go back to ios again......lol

Haha nice! I'm very receptive to the change, there were a lot of things I liked about Android over iOS. I just couldn't deal with those problems :(

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I also have great battery life...though I am by no means a "power" user. I text, send email, do a few other web things and occasionally I actually make a phone call on my PHONE! I can go two days of about 12 hours each on one charge. I have no idea what my SOT is??? (EDIT: I know what SOT means, I just am not concerned with how long it is!)However, do you live in a cave at the top of a mountain in the outback of the Alaskan wilderness? If so, then you will have a poor signal and the battery will drain trying to lock on. However, if you live in a metropolitan area where others you know are getting a good signal (depending on carrier) then it's quite possible that you had a bad phone. Try again! Ask about the return policy before you do.

nanorris88

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site

That's crazy! I get to 4 and I consider that good. Mind sharing any tweaks you have made?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Turned off apps I didn't need from the start. I sync manually.

Sync is a pretty important feature. I turned it off on my Note 4 a few days ago, and got 7:30 of SoT over 24+ hours. But it wasn't backing up my photos automatically or notifying me about emails. Turned it on again and I'm back to ~6H SoT

DSMpowerhousegroup

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Sync is a pretty important feature. I turned it off on my Note 4 a few days ago, and got 7:30 of SoT over 24+ hours. But it wasn't backing up my photos automatically or notifying me about emails. Turned it on again and I'm back to ~6H SoT

Not to me. I receive too many emails. I just check it periodically. I don't need bunches of notifications. They're irritating.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Not to me. I receive too many emails. I just check it periodically. I don't need bunches of notifications. They're irritating.

Fair enough. I also get a lot, but since I'm on my phone a lot more often than on my laptop, checking them there is a lot more convenient. The extra hour or so of SoT is definitely nice to have though

shath32

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
I'm thinking about switching back to the edge tomorrow, I plan on going home to see how the signal is. Will post with an update

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Just thought I would say hi. I just got a 64gb edge today. So far it is a really good phone. Feels fantastic in the hand. And this device screams.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown