Danger in buying an unlocked Z3?

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
This really applies to any unlocked phone that supports HD audio and doesn't necessarily apply only to the Z3. It is a bit of a concern for me buying a phone that's not actually sold by the carrier. With HD audio just around the corner for many areas, whether or not the HD audio in the Z3 gets supported on your carrier is very dicey.

I'm on AT&T and seriously considering this phone. AT&T already has HD audio in a few areas and on a few phones. However, although the Z3 is capable of HD audio, using an unlocked phone on AT&T (or other carriers that have this capability) is no guarantee that your phone will have the HD audio implemented on a carrier that really doesn't sell or support the phone.

At least that's my understanding of the issue and I'd welcome other thoughts on this.

race4life

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I guess that is a concern but is HD Audio just better sound quality? I have zero issue with my daul sim Z3 with audio quality.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
If you heard the difference, you'd see it is a big improvement. It's kind of like going from an AM radio station to the same station on FM. It's a broader frequency response and a much richer sound.

Wollombi

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Just speculation on my part, but I would assume, for simplicity, that HD Audio capable handsets and networks have a protocol to determine when HD Audio is used, and that that protocol would be independent of the handset itself, but a piece of the underlying technology. As I said, it is just a guess, and carriers are weird sometimes, but I wouldn't worry so much about it. I have my Z3 running on AT&T with no problems. I don't know if HD Audio is working, because I have never listened/looked for it. I am perfectly happy with my phone - quite possibly the best I've ever had, and I have had zero issues with it on AT&T. I would say, if you really want this phone, then don't worry about the HD Audio. You stand a good chance of it being enabled, and if not, the networks will be using it soon enough regardless of device.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Wollombi, HD voice is actually enabled by the carriers on a phone by phone basis. As an example, AT&T, even in the areas where HD voice is now live, is only enabling a few of their phones that have this capability. So the Galaxy S5, although having HD voice, is not yet unlocked for that feature by AT&T, even in the areas where HD voice exists.

This is why I'm doubting that a phone they don't sell, can be enabled with this feature. There's no motivation for AT&T to send the necessary software update to the phone.