Dash/Dot for channels on Smart Remote App

mattred33

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I have an Insignia TV, and just use an OTA (over the air) antenna. The Smart Remote app has the correct code, and in fact turns on the TV just fine, and even enters the actual numbers correctly. However, it doesn't have the standard "dot" or "dash" input that you need to tune to digital channels. So, when I want to turn on CBS for example, which is channel 2.1 or 2-1, the app automatically puts in "21" which isn't a channel. Even the actual GUI remote does not have a dot or dash, so I can't even enter it manually. Any ideas on how to get this dot/dash to enter in?

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I have an Insignia TV, and just use an OTA (over the air) antenna. The Smart Remote app has the correct code, and in fact turns on the TV just fine, and even enters the actual numbers correctly. However, it doesn't have the standard "dot" or "dash" input that you need to tune to digital channels. So, when I want to turn on CBS for example, which is channel 2.1 or 2-1, the app automatically puts in "21" which isn't a channel. Even the actual GUI remote does not have a dot or dash, so I can't even enter it manually. Any ideas on how to get this dot/dash to enter in?

Well, I think in this case only the Smart Remote App creator i.e the developers can help you on this have you tried reporting this error to the developers? I am sure they will help you.

pchrist11

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

Hi, I was having the same issue with my Sony TV. I was able to get this to work by picking a different code. When it asks if the TV powered on/off during the remote setup, I selected to try another code (even when the first one actually powered on/off the TV). When I did this, the GUI with numbers now has a dash in the bottom left corner. So you may want to keep trying different codes that work until you get the dash / dot. Also, I was able to edit my channels to include the dot to get the digital channels to work correctly when using the guide.

mattred33

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I was having the same issue with my Sony TV. I was able to get this to work by picking a different code. When it asks if the TV powered on/off during the remote setup, I selected to try another code (even when the first one actually powered on/off the TV). When I did this, the GUI with numbers now has a dash in the bottom left corner. So you may want to keep trying different codes that work until you get the dash / dot. Also, I was able to edit my channels to include the dot to get the digital channels to work correctly when using the guide.

This was the answer. I had to go through to the 4th code, even though they all turned on/off the TV.

MsMonroe727

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
I'm replying for the sake of anyone else out there who googled this issue and found this forum as an answer.

The "SURE Universal Smart tv remote control" app has a "dash" button. (it works for non-smart tv's too, as mine is not a smart tv.) It's written out as the word dash and functions as the dot or . or - between digital channels. Plus this app also allows you to create a custom remote control so the dash can be put wherever you want. Because initially it's in an inconvenient place, lol.