Data usage question

Venez68

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My son was using an Xfinity wifi hotspot but still got charged for data usage.
He's on a limited data plan and thought by using the hotspot he wouldn't be eating into his data usage.
Has anyone experienced this before?

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Confused. he shouldn't be being charged for data if he's connected to a hotspot. It'd be just like him being on a wifi network.

I connect my phone (with a data limit) to my Verizon hotspot/mifi (with no data limit) all the time. My phone is then using the MiFi's data, which is unlimited.

Are you sure he was connected correctly? If in doubt, you could turn off mobile data and make sure it works (which it would/should)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Agree with above. If he still had mobile data on, and if he wasn't really connected to the Xfinity hotspot, then he was using mobile data. In order to use Xfinity hotspots, you have to sign in on the welcome page, so if he doesn't remember doing that, he wasn't on the hotspot.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AC Forums mobile app

c_elliott83

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
My maxx is connected to my wifi about 99% of the time ( I work from home) The only thing I use data for on my plan is pic mail. for some reason it wont send via wifi?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My maxx is connected to my wifi about 99% of the time ( I work from home) The only thing I use data for on my plan is pic mail. for some reason it wont send via wifi?

Correct, you need mobile data on to send MMS. Not sure why they have that limitation.

c_elliott83

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Gotcha. I have no clue either sort of dumb. Well maybe that is the OP's issue then?

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 4

Venez68

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
He was signed in to the Xfinity site and usually disables the mobile data when on wifi but this time i don't think he did that.
I've read on other posts that sometimes when on wifi mobile data will still be enabled and that's why Verizon is charging you.
I always thought mobile data automatically disables when switched to wifi but i guess that's not the case.
I'll have to call Verizon and get to the bottom of this.

c_elliott83

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
It shouldn't be used unless its something that needs mobile data instead of wifi. So calling would be a good idea

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omarkarsly