data usage

dubmess

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
hi all,

just got my monthly bill from O2 Ireland and for the first time ever I've gone over my 2gb limit.

Checked through my usage and on 2 separate occasions there were records of over 400 and over 800 mb of data usage!

I use wi-fi when I'm at home and in my local cafe, and on other occasions I'd only be checking mail, facebook etc. not streaming movies.

My bill leapt up because of this and I can get no hard facts about what was eating up the data. O2 say they are correct and they can't tell me any more details.

I checked the date for the over 800mb usage and I was actually at home for most of the day, left the house for maybe 4 hours that evening... I'm perplexed...

Any help anyone??? I don't think my battery would even last long enough to get anywhere near that much data usage in one day, and I know I didn't charge my phone at all that day...:-\

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Did you have any widgets that update in the background? That might not be much but over a period of time it can be a lot. For example, it might take 500 kb just to update and you have it set to every 15 minutes, that's 2mb an hour which would be 48mb a day. That are not exact numbers but just something put together. That might be for one widget, so if you have multiple widgets, it can take up more.

Reactions: dubmess

dubmess

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm running Launcherpro with Clockr, Snowstorm and Agenda widget.

What's weird about the data usage is that it looks like it was a continuous drain as my bill breaks down each separate time I access data. For instance, on the 26th January I used 48.0kb, 49.95mb and then the astounding 815.86mb! The following day my usage was 48.0kb and 41.49mb.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
hi all,

just got my monthly bill from O2 Ireland and for the first time ever I've gone over my 2gb limit.

Checked through my usage and on 2 separate occasions there were records of over 400 and over 800 mb of data usage!

I use wi-fi when I'm at home and in my local cafe, and on other occasions I'd only be checking mail, facebook etc. not streaming movies.

My bill leapt up because of this and I can get no hard facts about what was eating up the data. O2 say they are correct and they can't tell me any more details.

I checked the date for the over 800mb usage and I was actually at home for most of the day, left the house for maybe 4 hours that evening... I'm perplexed...

Any help anyone??? I don't think my battery would even last long enough to get anywhere near that much data usage in one day, and I know I didn't charge my phone at all that day...:-\

Unless you were downloading huge files or Tethering your device, this does not seem kosher. It takes a lot to get 800 mb of data in just one day. I have a widget on my phone that displays how much data I have currently used just to keep an eye on it for curiosity's sake. Just to give you an idea as to why this does not seem legitimate, I have only used 169 mb since January 31st. Given, when I am home I'm usually connected to Wifi but when I wasn't at home I was using 3g. I think I downloaded some podcasts, apps, pretty heavy internet use and I think I downloaded one of Cyanogenmods nightly releases over 3g. 800mb does not seem possible unless you did 1 out of the 2 things i mentioned earlier.

Edit: I would also assume that withholding information from you regarding your data usage is illegal. If you are paying a bill, shouldn't you be able to see what your actually being billed for. I would call them up again demand a detailed breakdown of data usage.

dubmess

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I don't really know what's going on, I scanned through the rest of the bill and there are at least 5 occasions where I've used between 150mb and 410mb in a single day. I do not dowload large files, only podcasts, and even then only if I'm connected to wi-fi at home, and my phone (HTC Desire) isn't set up for tethering.

I asked O2 if they could give me a breakdown and they said that due to data protection laws in Ireland they weren't privy to the details of my usage, merely the quantities used. I guess I would have to request it formally somehow... this really sucks...

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Tell them that you refuse to pay for it since you do not know why it's so high and for all you know, they could be adding the data charges and making things up.

dubmess

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately my bill is set up through direct debit so the money is already in their coffers... to be honest the more I look through this bill the more discrepancies I'm seeing, using 27mb on days where I'm working from home all day and only using wi-fi... something's not adding up somewhere... I'm going to call O2 tomorrow and demand a full breakdown of my data usage.

In the meantime Brett could you tell me what that data widget is that you're using... I'm now ultra-paranoid about what's going on with my phone!

Thanks guys...

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
3g watchdog. Hopefully by using that widget you will know if your phone really does use that much data. God luck man and let us know if you find out anything.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

laney12186

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Try out data counter as well. It'll show you your data and your wifi usage. 800mb in one sitting seems super high...if you're paying a bill you should be able to see the details.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
800 mb is a lot for what your saying. No way it should of went to 800mb at all. The only was is if someone was good enough and went into your wifi and it was open and started to download big files. But that is a very unlikely scenario.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dijablue