Dead S24 Ultra less than 30 days in hand...

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
When I first got the unit it acted weird. It seemed a little slow at times, didn't automatically connect to my car's BT, BT playback sounded like a lint covered record, and a few other seemingly small things that just didn't sit right. After factory resetting the device before the end of the first week some of these issues seemed to clear up, which caused me to believe it was build up in the partition cache or other cache issues from switching devices. It seemed easy to explain away at the time.

I went for some overnight testing at the medical center so I figured I'd charge the device to 100% and not take the charger with me so I wouldn't have to plug in somewhere. Things started off fine, I got checked in and prepped, and began to settle in for the night. I started off watching some YouTube videos and playing a game or two. All usual stuff for me. When I was tired I closed the game and left YouTube playing and stuck it under my pillow and fell asleep. I woke up in the middle of the night and started another video, put the device under the pillow again and was awake long enough to hear the video end. When I woke up again it was time to take with the technician and begin checking out. I didn't touch the phone at all during this time. When I walked out I pressed the power button and nothing happened. I thought this was odd since I arrived at 87% and was there less than 8 hours and hardly used the device but I assumed plugging it in to the car charger it would be OK but it never came on again. It never made sound or vibrated, like the screen was damaged or something, it wasn't coming on. I went home and tried all of the stuff, holding different button combinations, charging it for hours both wired and then wirelessly, but nothing. I chatted with Samsung and they told me to do all of the button things and to take it to a UBreakIFix location near me. They wanted to open the device and I refused because once opened the IP is no longer guaranteed and I was concerned about the warranty given the device was less than month old. I bought a Trac Phone and went home to call Samsung. I requested an RMA and made several requests to send the device back for replacement. They refused and told me I could wait nearly a month, longer than I had the device, to send it in and have them look at it or I could take it to a UBIF. So I went back to UBIF and they opened it up.

They are replacing the PCB that the charging port is on, the mother/main board, and the battery. They said they were doing this because it's so new and failed so early that they wanted to be sure they solved the problem. Basically they are keeping the screen and the frame it sounds like.

This is day 3 without the device and they think it will be ready by or before the end of the week.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
😳 What a horrible ordeal! You would think that Samsung would just send a new device with it only being a month old.

Sounds like UBIF is replacing all the important 'stuff' so hopefully that will be the end of the issues.
🤞
Sorry you have to go through this...

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Unlocked. I went to Verizon but there was little they could do some I bought directly from Samsung.
I'm the meantime, mixed news.
I called after work and they said it was ready. I was surprised because the way they sounded the day before it was still going to be a couple days before the parts came in so I went not knowing what to expect. Would it be totally wiped factory reset and not even set up at all, would they have tried to restore something, would they have tried to backup anything at all? So imagine my surprise when I walk in the store and the guy from the day before excitedly greets me and says you won't believe this, shortly after you left we plugged it in and it said charging. He was right I was in disbelief. Then he went on, we were surprised couldn't believe it so we put it on the charger overnight and came in the next day and it was at 100%. Turned it on and off few times rebooted every time. Put it in maintenance mode ran through all the diagnostics contact of Samsung went through all the diagnostics with them everything checked out. By this time the other coworker had gone in the back and brought the device out and handed it to me. I press a button and there was my wallpaper I couldn't believe it. So I asked him I didn't lose anything, He's like no nothing changed, I said, did you open it and he said no we didn't open it. So my two biggest fears were squashed. I didn't have any reduced IP rating without a warranty and I didn't lose anything.

Now for the mixed feelings. They couldn't explain what happened from what they were able to gather at the time when I suspected all this started is the time that they show all of this starting. According to them the battery suddenly died they didn't say from what percentage but just said that it suddenly died and then the phone became unresponsive. No I have a theory of what may have sparked it all but it's just a theory and and everything doesn't line up. I made Sunday 3:30 a.m. either the force restart time or some type of maintenance that this device offers. When I started the podcast it was 3:45 so it was already past the 3:30 time. In the past with other devices having an auto restart never insured that the device was actually going to restart. I even want to go so far as to say that for a short time they disabled it or something because I had an auto restart set and it was working up to a certain point and then it stopped working. The time that they show that the battery just went out was 6:30 so 3 hours after the scheduled maintenance auto restart whatever it was time. So maybe that time is just a ballpark and somehow me using the device in that time frame caused it to go wonky. I can't explain it.

Am I happy that I didn't lose anything Yes it gives me a chance to back that stuff up and be prepared for the next time. Am I also just as concerned that it could happen again Yes I'm just as concerned that this can happen again because no one can explain it there is no explanation. At the same time I almost wish that they had replaced all the stuff because then I would feel a little bit better about the little minor things that I think that I'm noticing that maybe real or they may not be. I guess only time will tell.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
On a positive note. Because UbreakIfix is an authorized repair vendor, the IP is still warranteed. They can put the phone back together and you will still have IP68 rating.

Reactions: BergerKing

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
When I first got the unit it acted weird. It seemed a little slow at times, didn't automatically connect to my car's BT, BT playback sounded like a lint covered record, and a few other seemingly small things that just didn't sit right. After factory resetting the device before the end of the first week some of these issues seemed to clear up, which caused me to believe it was build up in the partition cache or other cache issues from switching devices. It seemed easy to explain away at the time.

I went for some overnight testing at the medical center so I figured I'd charge the device to 100% and not take the charger with me so I wouldn't have to plug in somewhere. Things started off fine, I got checked in and prepped, and began to settle in for the night. I started off watching some YouTube videos and playing a game or two. All usual stuff for me. When I was tired I closed the game and left YouTube playing and stuck it under my pillow and fell asleep. I woke up in the middle of the night and started another video, put the device under the pillow again and was awake long enough to hear the video end. When I woke up again it was time to take with the technician and begin checking out. I didn't touch the phone at all during this time. When I walked out I pressed the power button and nothing happened. I thought this was odd since I arrived at 87% and was there less than 8 hours and hardly used the device but I assumed plugging it in to the car charger it would be OK but it never came on again. It never made sound or vibrated, like the screen was damaged or something, it wasn't coming on. I went home and tried all of the stuff, holding different button combinations, charging it for hours both wired and then wirelessly, but nothing. I chatted with Samsung and they told me to do all of the button things and to take it to a UBreakIFix location near me. They wanted to open the device and I refused because once opened the IP is no longer guaranteed and I was concerned about the warranty given the device was less than month old. I bought a Trac Phone and went home to call Samsung. I requested an RMA and made several requests to send the device back for replacement. They refused and told me I could wait nearly a month, longer than I had the device, to send it in and have them look at it or I could take it to a UBIF. So I went back to UBIF and they opened it up.

They are replacing the PCB that the charging port is on, the mother/main board, and the battery. They said they were doing this because it's so new and failed so early that they wanted to be sure they solved the problem. Basically they are keeping the screen and the frame it sounds like.

This is day 3 without the device and they think it will be ready by or before the end of the week.
Sorry to hear this , one thing I want to point out and for your safety is never put a phone under your pillow as it won't allow it to properly breathe that goes for any electronic with lithium ion battery don't want any chance of it exploding while under your head or catching fire .

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
On a positive note. Because UbreakIfix is an authorized repair vendor, the IP is still warranteed. They can put the phone back together and you will still have IP68 rating.
Nope. I thought the same until we had another device serviced. When we got it back there was a disclaimer in the paperwork saying the IP was not guaranteed. When the guy time me today that they didn't open it, I specifically mentioned it to confirm, oh so you didn't open it, because you don't guarantee the IP after that, and he said no we didn't open it and yeah we don't guarantee the IP of opened devices.

Reactions: mustang7757

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear this , one thing I want to point out and for your safety is never put a phone under your pillow as it won't allow it to properly breathe that goes for any electronic with lithium ion battery don't want any chance of it exploding while under your head or catching fire .
I agree with you. I wonder if putting the phone under a pillow made it overheat and shut down.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Well that's an interesting turn of events.

At least, you didn't lose anything & can keep current backups. If something goes awry again, then you should be in a better position if UBIF needs to then replace components.

Still, very strange!
🤔

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
I wouldn't do that with anything that used NiCd or NiMH either.

Reactions: Laura Knotek