December Update

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
No update yet. It's apparently a known issue as there is a reddit thread and google community thread on the subject. No helpful response from Google. Seems to only be affecting phones on TMobile and MVNO's running on TMo towers.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Interestingly, there have been a rash of posts on the Pixel help community about the 5 and 5a having issues after successfully installing December (including getting bricked). No idea if the two are directly related, but I'd just sit tight and wait. If there are bugs, wait for Google to iron them out.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Saw those too. Taking your suggestion.

The only problem I have with this is there is no response at all from Google on this. Not even acknowledging that there is an issue.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Saw those too. Taking your suggestion.

The only problem I have with this is there is no response at all from Google on this. Not even acknowledging that there is an issue.

Yeah, this is nothing new. I don't have any insider insight, but I would guess that any big company like Google has a certain threshold of confirmed reports of a problem before they make an official announcement. If it's under that threshold, they'll do more of a quiet investigation, possibly pausing the rollout while they do so. I imagine it's a similar process to how car manufacturers decide on announcing a recall publicly vs. issuing a service bulletin to technicians only vs. doing nothing at all.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
The concerning part of this for me, is that I was thinking of sideloading the update. Wouldn't have considered it if I knew there was an issue.

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
I've had my Jan update since release day. Don't get the hysterics.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
No one is getting "hysterical". Just looking for something from Google acknowledging that there is an issue and that they're working on it. Looks like this is finally getting out as xda developers just ran an article on this.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No one is getting "hysterical". Just looking for something from Google acknowledging that there is an issue and that they're working on it. Looks like this is finally getting out as xda developers just ran an article on this.

The articles I've seen so far are only based on the various threads in Reddit, the Google help communities, etc. -- only observations on what users are saying, without any clearcut answer. But this will hopefully spur more action from Google, as they see it gaining more publicity.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, this is nothing new. I don't have any insider insight, but I would guess that any big company like Google has a certain threshold of confirmed reports of a problem before they make an official announcement. If it's under that threshold, they'll do more of a quiet investigation, possibly pausing the rollout while they do so. I imagine it's a similar process to how car manufacturers decide on announcing a recall publicly vs. issuing a service bulletin to technicians only vs. doing nothing at all.

In the FAA it's nicknamed "Tombstone Technology", they don't make major changes to things until the deaths and associated costs/publicity reach a certain level. It's the same with car manufacturers.. years ago Ford actually got caught with the exact numbers they were waiting to hit before it was financially better for them to initiate a recall than paying for the wrongful death lawsuits and repair work on the affected vehicles. All businesses do it to some degree or another... at least Google's silence won't kill people ;)

Thank you Google ;)

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
After three months, finally coming through. The size of it, 434 mb, reflects that. It will take a few hours to fully install.

alexuio

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
After three months, finally coming through. The size of it, 434 mb, reflects that. It will take a few hours to fully install.

Just got a renewed Pixel 5 from Amazon last week and this is my first update… hope it’s not a few hours ja

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yessica8yessica