Default notification sound in settings

ian183

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I have the strangest issue. I have a custom tone (lets call it tone ABC) appearing as my default sound in the notification settings (ie text sounds) of the phone. BUT it does not appear in the list if I want to change it, nor do any of my other tones.
All my ringtones appear including my custom ones under "Ringtones" (including tone ABC). But again none appear for notification (except ABC which is the current selection but does not appear in the list).

What on earth is going on? Also, where are default notification sounds kept? Thought about simply moving the custom tones there.

bassmig

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I have a very similar issue. When I choose to update my notification sound it asks me to choose what I wish to view it with (in my case es explorer or media storage) if I choose es explorer I can choose any file from my phone and only after this do I see it show up in the media server option (the default option on JB). I find it a large PITA.

anon(973539)

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Android has 2 folders for tones - Ringtones and Notifications. Once you put your required tone in the Notifications folder in phone storage it will appear as one the tones that can be selected for text messages etc.

ian183

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I have put it there. Upon dragging and dropping the file into the notifications folder, it converts it to a wma file but still not appearing in the sounds/notification menu. YET the original custom tone is the selection but not appearing in the menu.

Any other input?

ian183

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
A bit of progress. Despite files automatically being converted to wma format upon dragging them Notifications, the phone won't read them not play them as notification. BUT oddly enough will play them as ringtones.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
How are you putting them in the notifications folder? What was the original format of the sound file (e.g., mp3)? I've not seen anything converted to a WMA file on my S3. Try copy and paste, rather than dragging it, maybe with a different program (such as Astro or ES File explorer), or via your PC. Do you have an SD card? Try creating a notifications folder there, and copying the file to it as an mp3. That's where all the notifications I added to my phone are.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
for some reason I believe JB is having issues with WMA files. When I tried to edit some music files on my phone the WMA files wouldn't show up. I had to remove all my music files and re load them on my SD card and this time windows had to convert them before the could go back in the phone. It said I could skip the conversion but the file might not play in my device. If the tone is heard upon tapping it in the notifications ringtone menu then you have another problem but if you can't hear it when you tap it then try removing it and reloading it back in the phone and then it may show up and work. Hopefully it works for you. I had this problem a lil while ago

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Ah. I've always said no when Windows offered to convert the files. I didn't know it would convert them to WMA. Leave them as mp3s and you should have no problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals42