Defective proximity sensor

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Just figured I'd post this here as I have seen it posted elsewhere. This is different than having a flashing proximity sensor, this is the proximity sensor not working properly. Basically my proximity sensor thinks something is close by when there is not.

I use an app called KinScreen that uses, among other things, the proximity sensor to turn the screen off and on. It shows that the proximity sensor thinks it's covered when it isn't. So do two other sensor diagnostic apps. It works properly maybe 1/4 of the time. Also double tap to wake doesn't work when the proximity sensor thinks it's covered.

Other than that the phone is almost perfect. AT&T is so broken their system won't let them send me a replacement so I have to return my phone tomorrow, then order another one online or by phone, since it's out of stock everywhere up here in Northern NJ.

bcfour

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Sadly, I had the same exact problem. First I noticed that the prox sensor was not working but within days it was both prox and ambient light sensors. My situation is chronicled here:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/g...ble-quick-settings-drop-down.html#post6891037

Verizon did send me a replacement even though I was out of the 14 day return policy. It was in a generic package so I'm assuming somebody else touched it first, but I could care less. The new phone works perfectly.

Last edited:

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad to hear that, just surprised the pixel 5 had this issue, heard a lot for pixel 3 on this .

When I googled I did find a couple reddit posts complaining of the same issue with the Pixel 5 proximity sensor. More often than not it would think the sensor was covered when it wasn't.

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Yours was covered though correct?

No my sensor did the same thing. It thought there was something covering it when there wasn't. So double tap to wake wouldn't work and the KinScreen app that uses the proximity sensor to wake or turn the screen off was useless because of this. Mutliple sensor testing apps verified the proximity sensor thought there was something near it when there wasn't. Btw KinScreen is an amazing app to manage when your screen turns on and off and stays on.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No my sensor did the same thing. It thought there was something covering it when there wasn't. So double tap to wake wouldn't work and the KinScreen app that uses the proximity sensor to wake or turn the screen off was useless because of this. Mutliple sensor testing apps verified the proximity sensor thought there was something near it when there wasn't. Btw KinScreen is an amazing app to manage when your screen turns on and off and stays on.
Sorry , I meant Google covered your device under warranty?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Remember, the proximity detector is visual, it works by light being sent out and reflected back. So if anything is "blocking" that light, the proximity sensor is "covered". (That could be a smudge on the screen - even a fingerprint.)

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Remember, the proximity detector is visual, it works by light being sent out and reflected back. So if anything is "blocking" that light, the proximity sensor is "covered". (That could be a smudge on the screen - even a fingerprint.)
I understand how the sensor works. Screen was clean, no screen protector, and multiple diagnostic apps verified the proximity sensor was only working intermittently.