departing from my EVO..

EVO28312

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
So as you guys are aware people who pre ordered the s3 are getting then today including myself. Now that I know its time to depart from my EVO its getting a bit nervous whether ill be happy or not. So I started to think of what I'd miss like the gorgeous screen, the physical camera button, the look of it etc. I posted last week why I was going to trade in and give Sammy a shot so won't go into all that. I know this is just a phone but it feels like I'm a trader lol. Ive had HTC devices since the old hero and all evos. Well I have a few more hours with this phone until I trade her in for the s3. I'll keep you posted on what I think without being biased towards each side. I just know I'm gonna dislike touchwiz but probably will use nova off the bat as it was my main launcher n my EVO. See ya on the other side

Chuckl

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
11704d1339509517-well_bye.jpg

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Sammy has a long way to go before they get me to leave the HTC camp! There are plenty of people already posting side by side comparisons and liking the EVO better (but this is a forum for HTC EVO users, so...). All in all it comes down to build quality, UI and software. I think HTC is better than Sammy in all 3 departments. HW is the same, for the most part, aside from the screens, which seem to be about even (but I'll give a slight advantage to HTC here as well). The sum of it all = HTC as a clear winner in my eyes. Good luck on the other side. I hope we get an honest, unbiased review from you as well.

541rrhse

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
So as you guys are aware people who pre ordered the s3 are getting then today including myself. Now that I know its time to depart from my EVO its getting a bit nervous whether ill be happy or not. So I started to think of what I'd miss like the gorgeous screen, the physical camera button, the look of it etc. I posted last week why I was going to trade in and give Sammy a shot so won't go into all that. I know this is just a phone but it feels like I'm a trader lol. Ive had HTC devices since the old hero and all evos. Well I have a few more hours with this phone until I trade her in for the s3. I'll keep you posted on what I think without being biased towards each side. I just know I'm gonna dislike touchwiz but probably will use nova off the bat as it was my main launcher n my EVO. See ya on the other side

Well at least everyone isn't starting a thread telling us they are or aren't keeping their EVO.

Are you going to be ok?

:confused:

EVO28312

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Lol yeah I'll be ok I know its just a phone but phones these days are a part of you. It's a piece of your day to day life with sensitive info. As far as the EVO being best in all 3 departments like cloakndagger said well if this was true we wouldn't be having this conversation. Further, you can't go off to much what people say cuz theres a lot of bs out there. I'll be finding out myself soon enough.

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Enjoy the new phone! :)
Both are fantastic devices and had Samsung not disappointed me with my Epic and Tab I would have waited on the GS3 rather than rock the EVO LTE. Tough to go wrong with either, though I admit the popularity of the GS3 makes me worry since Google wants Android to go in one direction and the manufacturer of what will likely be the top Android device this year went in a different direction by adding a menu button...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

noggaholic

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
My last 5 phones were:

Samsung Epic 4G (GS1)
Samsung Moment
Samsung Omnia (Windows 6.5)
Samsung Candy Bar (Standard)
Samsung Flip (Standard)

The last one I was actually happy with through its entire life cycle and didn't get left in the dust by Samsung refusing to roll updates in order to sell more devices, even though each was the "top tier" device when I bought it?

The candy bar phone.

I just switched to HTC for the EVO 4G LTE this week and I've already felt amazing about it, even with the G S3 coming out today. Samsung will break your heart, buddy. Just remember I told you so when the G S4 is coming out, and some version of Android 4.3 is rolling, and while entry level devices with half the hardware are shipping with 4.3 Samsung will be telling you how your device can't run it, then they'll admit they can't run it because of TouchWiz, and then you'll still be SOL.

PS, if you're honestly considering Samsung, just remember that the S2 phones are JUST NOW (and only in some cases) getting ICS. The S1 phones got it refused, and the modems are horrible.

JUNGLEDROID350

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I agreed with you , every sgs I had was hard to unbreak because of the modem. I love HTC devices because they are easy to work with, as a hacker I prefer HTC over Samsung all the way.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I was in a similar position, but the delay made the decision for me that I'd pass my return window.

Oh well. Devs will cone through, theyre damn close to getting cm9 fully working, I have faith this phone will be normal someday.

MissJennell#IM

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I was in a similar position, but the delay made the decision for me that I'd pass my return window.

Oh well. Devs will cone through, theyre damn close to getting cm9 fully working, I have faith this phone will be normal someday.

I had this same thing happen to me. The day the GSlll was supposed to come out was my 14th day. The delay made up my mind for me. So I'm sticking with the EVO.

EVO28312

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
My last 5 phones were:

Samsung Epic 4G (GS1)
Samsung Moment
Samsung Omnia (Windows 6.5)
Samsung Candy Bar (Standard)
Samsung Flip (Standard)

The last one I was actually happy with through its entire life cycle and didn't get left in the dust by Samsung refusing to roll updates in order to sell more devices, even though each was the "top tier" device when I bought it?

The candy bar phone.

I just switched to HTC for the EVO 4G LTE this week and I've already felt amazing about it, even with the G S3 coming out today. Samsung will break your heart, buddy. Just remember I told you so when the G S4 is coming out, and some version of Android 4.3 is rolling, and while entry level devices with half the hardware are shipping with 4.3 Samsung will be telling you how your device can't run it, then they'll admit they can't run it because of TouchWiz, and then you'll still be SOL.

PS, if you're honestly considering Samsung, just remember that the S2 phones are JUST NOW (and only in some cases) getting ICS. The S1 phones got it refused, and the modems are horrible.

As far as the phone being updated that goes with all phones including HTC. Just look at the EVO 3d still wait in waiting for it's ics update. So even though Samsung typically takes longer all are pretty lame. I'm not worried to much about updates because I've always rooted my device's

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I haven't rooted my evo yet, but I'll probably root about a month after JB drops (that's generally how long my patience lasts while waiting for OTA updates) because, even if 4.1 is not a huge update (Froyo->GB, not GB->ICS) I wouldn't be surprised if the evo got it sometime around new years (assuming a Q2 JB release is accurate. If 4.1 is pushed later than that, who knows?).

noggaholic

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
As far as the phone being updated that goes with all phones including HTC. Just look at the EVO 3d still wait in waiting for it's ics update. So even though Samsung typically takes longer all are pretty lame. I'm not worried to much about updates because I've always rooted my device's

Perhaps, but I also remember sitting there while the EVO (gen 1) was getting updates two or three times faster than we were on the Epic and other GS1 phones.

EVO28312

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
So just want to update you guys who were interested or on the fence about switching to the s3. So I'll start with some things today and finish tomorrow. Out the box I noticed two things it was packaged nicely and they actually included head phones which liked. Yeah I know some could care less but none the less HTC should of gave us some beats by dre headphones. Anywho, I powered it up and the initial boot animation made the screen look nice. I already knew going into it that the evo was going to be superior in this but I'll get to that later. As its booting up I start to get a feel for the phone. Its very sleek looking and it felt very light and comfortable in the hands. But... the back of the phone makes it look a bit toyish for my taste. The EVO just looks and feels more premium. But hey most people put cases but I'm not one of them.
After a few hours of testing out wallpapers that I had on my evo I noticed that the screen is on the s3 was detailed and bright but it is definitely noticeable that the EVOs LCD2 is superior. Look I know there's people here that will say different and that you can't tell the difference but you can. The EVOs colors are just that more vibrant and detailed that the avg person can tell As I count myself and my gf. I can post the wallpapers I used if you want just ask. Yes this is including internet browsing and photos. I can go in detail but to put it into quick words the s3 colors just looks a bit washed out. Again I already knew this was the case as Samsung used old and inferior tech in using pentile. Why I have nooo clue. Now from here on out Sammys s3 starts to impress me. The phone is fast and when I mean fast no stuttering what so ever. No lag, no launcher reloads, no drop in data, and the big one at least for me No issues with multitasking!!

This was one of my biggest issues with the EVO and wow what a difference in the s3. I was consistently wiping cache, background apps, and anything that would restart or stutter my EVO. Out of habit I was going to clear the apps On the s3 when I noticed I still had 1.6 gigz of ram left. I just don't get why HTC would skip out on This as clearly sense is a tasking launcher. Furthermore, It pissess me off that HTC thinks we wouldn't notice and didn't see this as a problem to begin with. I consider myself a power user who spends ans does a lot on there phone and I just couldn't get over how HTC managed to f this up and take away from the UI and hinder ICS. I will end this post and continue tomorrow to give a bit more insight but as of now I'm happy with the s3 thus far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Starfleet Captain

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goodweather2024