did I get hacked?

thewelts

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone. Earlier today I was sending a message to my husband and realized that, once I inserted an emoji at the end of the text, the text amount went from 1 page to 3 pages long. So, wondering if it really sent 3 messages just because of an emoji, I sent the same message to myself. And someone else replied!! This is very frustrating and hard to type to make sense so I'm going to paste the actual content of the text below. I would attach a screenshot but cant figure out how to do so on this site. So it goes like this..
Me (message I sent): Hey sessy. Wyatts nap is at 2:15..not asking you to go NOW or anything but I need to go to sprouts so I was wondering if you could go to lunch soonish 😆
Me (message I received): Hey sessy. Wyatts nap is at 2:15..not asking you to go NOW or anything but I need to go to sprouts so I was wondering if you could go to lunch soonish 😆
Me (message that I did not type): ld go to lunch soonish 😆

All of these messages are in a thread that I have with myself. The last one I only got one of and did not type. How could someone have answered my text to myself from my own number??? I'm totally freaking out!! Is there any way to find out who did it? Thanks in advance!

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Some how, you included your own address, or you did a CC to yourself.

I do that often to make sure that I have a copy of my outbound messages. It also lets me know if the system is working.
If I get the reply, then they got the reply.

I feel pretty sure nothing is awry on your phone.

thewelts

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Ok well apparently I can't post my screenshot. What I typed up there^ is whats going on. The "id go to lunch soonish" response is the one that I did not send, however it showed up in the strand of messages I have with myself. My husband did NOT send that. I called my cellular provider yesterday and they didn't see that message on my incoming or outgoing messages. They didn't see it at all. So I want to know who would be able to see it and trace it back to its originator. Please help. Whoever it is, obviously has the potential to read my incoming and outgoing text messages since they are using MY number.

Last edited:

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Is it possible to pop your sim in another phone for a day or so and see if you get the same result? That will narrow it down to your number or your phone. If it's your number the carrier will fix that for you. If it's your phone then a clean wipe should take care of it. Without seeing the screen it's tougher to troubleshoot from here.

edit: I will add that if you go the wipe and clean install don't do a restore, and think carefully about what apps you add back. Downloading from Google play is a crapshoot [and a poor experience] when there are so many spoof apps there, so again choose carefully.

thewelts

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Is it possible to pop your sim in another phone for a day or so and see if you get the same result? That will narrow it down to your number or your phone. If it's your number the carrier will fix that for you. If it's your phone then a clean wipe should take care of it. Without seeing the screen it's tougher to troubleshoot from here.

edit: I will add that if you go the wipe and clean install don't do a restore, and think carefully about what apps you add back. Downloading from Google play is a crapshoot [and a poor experience] when there are so many spoof apps there, so again choose carefully.

Yes it is possible for me to put a sim in another phone, but I have sent numerous texts to myself basically asking "who are you" over and over and the person wont respond again. I really want to know who it is and why they're doing it. Is this at all traceable?

janw75

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Are you certain it was an incoming message at all? To me it looks like the last few characters of your message are repeated - "ld go to lunch soonish" is just what you typed. Is it I'd or ld? The 2nd is LD the last 2 letters of could. Maybe you somehow did a copy and paste while editing?
Just a thought.

Posted via Android Central App

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
If it were me, I'd eliminate the problem first for peace of mind, then research how it's possible once you're all cleaned up. You may never get to the bottom of it, and meanwhile if you don't act to fix the issue your phone/phone service is broken and you're still worrying.

Good luck and let us know what it was and how it was fixed.

thewelts

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Are you certain it was an incoming message at all? To me it looks like the last few characters of your message are repeated - "ld go to lunch soonish" is just what you typed. Is it I'd or ld? The 2nd is LD the last 2 letters of could. Maybe you somehow did a copy and paste while editing?
Just a thought.

Yeah I believe you are right! I totally didn't think of that in the the first place. But it was Id not I'd. I don't completely understand why it would send me a piece of the message after sending me the whole message. That's weird but I feel very relieved now. Thank you so much! On a sn it would help a hell of a lot if capital i's looked how they do if you actually write one. Grrr...feeling like an *****

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Just a thought.

having reread the first post, and now reading this response, I am of the same mind.

Some how, with an errant keystroke you did a copy of some of the text and then pasted it into a text message that was sent out.

The only other possibility that comes to my mind is your phone has been cloned and someone is just monitoring you.

BUT, if that were the case, I really believe that you would be seeing a LOT OF STRANGE STUFF.

People who go to that kind of trouble are not satisfied with just a 'one off' effort to scare you. It simply just is not worth the effort and expense it takes to do that.

bigmatt503

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Imho it was just a fluke.. But... From here on out I will wear my tinfoil hat when I send an sms

Sent from my rooted Vzw LG G3 on a couch in Portland Oregon

jordo487

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone. Earlier today I was sending a message to my husband and realized that, once I inserted an emoji at the end of the text, the text amount went from 1 page to 3 pages long. So, wondering if it really sent 3 messages just because of an emoji, I sent the same message to myself. And someone else replied!! This is very frustrating and hard to type to make sense so I'm going to paste the actual content of the text below. I would attach a screenshot but cant figure out how to do so on this site. So it goes like this..
Me (message I sent): Hey sessy. Wyatts nap is at 2:15..not asking you to go NOW or anything but I need to go to sprouts so I was wondering if you could go to lunch soonish 😆
Me (message I received): Hey sessy. Wyatts nap is at 2:15..not asking you to go NOW or anything but I need to go to sprouts so I was wondering if you could go to lunch soonish 😆
Me (message that I did not type): ld go to lunch soonish 😆

All of these messages are in a thread that I have with myself. The last one I only got one of and did not type. How could someone have answered my text to myself from my own number??? I'm totally freaking out!! Is there any way to find out who did it? Thanks in advance!

To the first part, I can confirm that it is completely normal for your messages to go from 1 page to 3 when you use some of the emoji's. If you use text, such as :p then it just adds three more characters, but using the emoji's, it takes up several characters. It will be any where from a few characters, to a few pages, but this is normal. If you go through and add different emoji's, watching the counter, you will see that some use less characters then others, but this is completely normal.

For the messages going on, you may need to look into something or contact your carrier about the origin and destination of the texts.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wmblalock86