Direct Contact Question

stefanl

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
So i noticed on a video when they added a contact shortcut to the home screen and they clicked on it, the contact "bar" displayed above the contact (similar to when you click on a contact picture in a contact list). Yet, on my Droid (2.01) when i click on my contact shortcut, it just launches they contact screen on their name and info.

this might not make since but my question is: is this a 2.1 feature or am i doing something wrong.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I'm not familiar with Direct Contact, what is it supposed to do? Sorry I can't help I'm kind of confused.

I use Direct Dial shortcuts on my home screen, which are just speed dials.

myriad46

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I believe it may be part of the Nexus One, and not the Droid. So if the video you saw was on the Droid it may have been rooted and loaded with 2.1. It looks as though we'll get this feature with the 2.1 upgrade.

myriad46

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
We're not funny, you can't read. We are talking about he Quick Contact ribbon that shows up from touching the picture in the contact screen. It gives you icons for text, voice,talk and fb.

ericatomars06

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
I had done that on accident a few weeks ago, and I was like wow thats about as close to speed dialing as we can get. It's a cool feature but its been on there..

stefanl

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
c'mon Fluguide..did you read the question.... I know how to add a contact to the homescreen on the Droid. I was just asking about the different functionality of 2.01 and 2.1, which there is a clear distinction

DERacing

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
We're not funny, you can't read. We are talking about he Quick Contact ribbon that shows up from touching the picture in the contact screen. It gives you icons for text, voice,talk and fb.

I just noticed this yesterday as a matter of fact. I am running 2.0.1 although it is rooted, but I have no custom roms other than the Gallery, MM Dock app.

DERacing

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
Ok. just figured it out. Click on CONTACTS to open the contact view. If you click on the persons name, then it takes you to the contacts detailed information screen. click back to go back to the main contact listing screen. Now, click on the contacts PICTURE. NOW you get the ribbon with the selective icons for call, text, email, etc. Depends on the information you have for that contact as to the options available.

This also works on the contacts detail screen as well. I would guess that any contact, call log, etc that has the contact listed with the picture should yeild the same results.

myriad46

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
The "Quick Contact" ribbon is a feature of Android 2.0. It is integrated in almost any place the contact is listed (Contacts, text messages, google talk, facebook). Android tries to help you out by linking them all together. Wherever you see your contacts picture in a square box with a line under their picture, you can tap the picture and the "Quick Contact" ribbon comes up.

The whole point of stefanl's question is whether we can get that box with the line on the home screen, so you'd be looking at your contacts picture and with 1 tap bring up the Quick Contact ribbon right from the home screen.

stefanl

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
i'm not sure i phrased my question right.

I know how the contact ribbon, contact icon, contact page, contact info...and all that works and how to get a contact on the homepage. My question is that there seems to be two different functionalities for homescreen contact shortcuts on 2.01 (Droid) and 2.1.(Nexus One)

On 2.01: When the icon is clicked, you are redirected to the contacts app

On 2.1: When the icon is click, an animated contact ribbon displays above the picture, making it quicker and easier to call, text, email...etc

Am i imagining this or does anyone else see what i'm talking about. Will the Droid get this functionality when upgraded to 2.1?

DERacing

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
After re-reading the OP's original question I have come to the conclusion that I am an idiot and need a basic reading comprehension course! :D

dlongb13

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
where did you see this video? its not that I don't believe you I would just like to see it. I have ran about every rom out there except the 2.1 port so I know nothing of this.