Do Pixels have more ads because they're Google Products?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Here's my story: I bought a Pixel 7 pro (my 2nd Pixel) and it seemed like I was getting inundated with ads particularly bothersome are the pop-ups.

Then my 1 month old Pixel 7 broke, malfunctioned, screen flashed, plus opaque lines running vertically.

So I returned it. I want to get a new one, Pixel 7 Pro, but I'd like to know if these phones get more ads because they're Google phones and if there's a way to reduce the ads

I've tried reading everything I can to find about settings that reduce ads, but my settings were already what they said they should be.

I don't really want to buy another Pixel 7 pro if I can't control the out of control ads.

I'm hoping somebody can tell me I'm wrong about they're being ads because it's a Google phone, or how to reduce them.

I assume they're Google ads because when I X them out, often a window opens with the Google logo and starts asking me questions about ads. But it never asks, do you want to stop getting ads.

Technerd71

Dec 17, 2022
Visit site
There should be NO ADs in your operating system or general use apps like messages, camera, etc.

If you are using Chrome and get pop up ads then you may have malware on the phone.

Have you sideloaded any apps or only use Google play?

Where are you specifically seeing ads? What are you doing and what apps are you using?

Generally speaking Pixel doesn't have any ads associated with the phone. Google has some built in tracking on maps, some use pattern recognition in Gmail, Chrome might relay some non user identifiable info but they don't have ads or pop ups.

More information is needed to properly address your issues.

Unlike other OEM's like Samsung etc. there are no 3rd party apps like Facebook, Onedrive, etc installed on a Pixel and a lot of Google apps you can uninstall or disable.

Coop61

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like you had a virus or spyware on you phone. Personally what ever phone you get I wouldn't let it autoload your old apps. You want an app download it only from Googles app store. And I would suggest a good antivirus for your phone. That will hopefully catch stuff like this

No Issues with my P7P.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Those ads are almost certainly related to some app you routinely install. To prove this, you can boot into Safe Mode, which temporarily disables all 3rd party apps -- if the ads go away, then you know it's due to something you installed. https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/2852139. It can be more tedious to narrow down the specific app that's responsible -- you might have to uninstall apps one by one until the problem goes away.

Another option is to do a factory reset without automatically reinstalling all of your usual apps. Then install apps one by one, with enough time interval between each installation, to see if/when ads start popping up again.

Just because you see a Google logo on an ad does not mean Google themselves are responsible for serving up the ad. Google at its heart is still an advertising company, but it's the 3rd party apps that are utilizing the ad network to show you the ads.

Also, remember that ads are a very common way for app developers to make any kind of revenue, especially if the app itself is offered free. A good app developer offers a way to eliminate ads by paying a fee, but there are many apps that don't have this option, and you're just stuck with ads.

I wouldn't go as far as saying this is a virus or spyware. Adware is common and legal (although often a nuisance). Google does give rules to app developers on how they can show ads in their apps, so if they violate those rules, that might be a reason that the app gets pulled from the Play Store. A virus is malicious -- showing ads isn't malicious per se. And a spyware app that made itself known by showing ads would be a terrible way to spy on someone.;)

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I'm sorry this is happening to you! I've used the Pixel 2 and am currently using a Pixel 5 device and have never encountered ads (unless they were in free apps I downloaded.

Does this issue happen in Safe Mode? It could very well be an app you downloaded that is causing these ads to crop up.

Please consider making an account with us here at Android Central so you can keep better track of this thread and so you can respond to it. Here is the link!

https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I’ll add my voice to the chorus …… the answer to your question is “no!”

My guess is that you have installed some garbage app, which is flooding your phone with ads.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
There should be NO ADs in your operating system or general use apps like messages, camera, etc.

If you are using Chrome and get pop up ads then you may have malware on the phone.

Have you sideloaded any apps or only use Google play?

Where are you specifically seeing ads? What are you doing and what apps are you using?

Generally speaking Pixel doesn't have any ads associated with the phone. Google has some built in tracking on maps, some use pattern recognition in Gmail, Chrome might relay some non user identifiable info but they don't have ads or pop ups.

More information is needed to properly address your issues.

Unlike other OEM's like Samsung etc. there are no 3rd party apps like Facebook, Onedrive, etc installed on a Pixel and a lot of Google apps you can uninstall or disable.
Well said

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Did you buy the phone from a reputable source? Any chance it's a knockoff? Sorry if someone asked already, may have missed it. That is quite a spectacular way for it to fail. As everyone is saying, no, that is not normal.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I haven't had any issues with ads. Other than within apps, which is normal these days

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
I turned off all notifications for Google and I'm much happier now. Getting an Android phone to just stfu sometimes is quite a task. But once you get it dialed in it's quite enjoyable!

Settings > Notifications > App settings. Toggle off anything from which you do not wish to hear/see. I allow notifications from Gmail, Messages, Clock, GPay, and Fitbit. No Files by Google, Photos, or Drive. And no social media notifications.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I turned off all notifications for Google and I'm much happier now. Getting an Android phone to just stfu sometimes is quite a task. But once you get it dialed in it's quite enjoyable!

Settings > Notifications > App settings. Toggle off anything from which you do not wish to hear/see. I allow notifications from Gmail, Messages, Clock, GPay, and Fitbit. No Files by Google, Photos, or Drive. And no social media notifications.

I think notifications from 3rd party apps can be far more intrusive than Google apps -- many of them are trying to keep you engaged with whatever they do (like games). As soon as I see a notification from an app that I don't feel is necessary, I just long-press the notification in the notification panel and turn that notification category off right from there. Or I'll go from there to the app's notification settings and turn all of them off completely.

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
I have no games on my phone. Not a one. And I do not use social media. Must be a generational thing. If an app starts spamming me I delete it and look for an alternative.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have no games on my phone. Not a one. And I do not use social media. Must be a generational thing. If an app starts spamming me I delete it and look for an alternative.

There are other app categories that are notorious for attracting apps with lots of adware, like "phone cleaners", battery savers, file managers, galleries, flashlights, and QR code scanners, to name a few. It's annoying as heck.

However, it's important to note that app notifications are nowhere near as bad as popup ads. Notifications can be easily turned off, while the intrusive ads can't be, unless you use ad blockers (which don't always work, and can also mess up normal activities).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol