Do you buy phones to evaluate and return?

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm reading where people are returning these Flips because they don't do this or that. Some are even calling the 'flip' part a sales gimmick. I don't get that accusation. I mean.... it's literally named a friggin FLIP.
You knew that when you bought it.

And disappointment over battery life is an arguable point. But I already had done my research and knew the battery life wasn't exactly what larger batteries are. The battery life is fine for me tho. I usually top off during the day with any phone I own. It's not an experiment to see how far I can push a battery. It's a cellphone. Besides, I'm not on an outback excursion and away from electricity during the day.

I would wager that most, if not all, of the people in AC here have researched their phones before they bought them.

So it's hard to see how someone didn't just go thru all the hassle of buying a phone to simply play with it just so they can return it and then complain about how it doesn't get a fair return value or find fault in every millimeter of the device.

I mean, it's a free world. But it's like someone went to a lot, looked at trucks, bought one, drove the truck home, drove it a week, and then suddenly went...

I'm taking this truck back.
I don't like color.

Do you guys buy phones like this? I've had phones since bag phones and I've never taken one back because I changed my mind.

Buyin' a phone and then being surprised enough to return it (unless you just bought it and didn't even Google it and who would do that in 2021?) seems odd to me.

Last edited:

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Being able to return a phone is our god-given right... why shouldn't we if it's not this or that? I mean if the manufacturers are giving us the option to do so why wouldn't exercise that option?

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Being able to return a phone is our god-given right... why shouldn't we if it's not this or that? I mean if the manufacturers are giving us the option to do so why wouldn't exercise that option?

Wasn't saying it isn't a 'right'. lol
Just wondering if some people routinely do this with all of their new phones. Just seems like a lot of trouble to go thru to get it home, get it setup and all that without being pretty durn sure you're gonna keep it.
But? We're all different. Some may just enjoy getting a phone and doing all of that and then returning it.

anon(10766205)

Aug 17, 2021
Visit site
When the S21 series came out last January Utube was flooded with people saying they were returning the phone because it had no SD card slot, no headphone jack, and no charger. Good grief. I'm not a techie, but I do a bit of research before I purchase. I read the spec sheets. No sd card slot, no headphone jack, no charger. I knew all that before I ordered the s21ultra. Before you buy a car dont you pop the bonnet to make sure it has an engine?

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
When the S21 series came out last January Utube was flooded with people saying they were returning the phone because it had no SD card slot, no headphone jack, and no charger. Good grief. I'm not a techie, but I do a bit of research before I purchase. I read the spec sheets. No sd card slot, no headphone jack, no charger. I knew all that before I ordered the s21ultra. Before you buy a car dont you pop the bonnet to make sure it has an engine?

Exactly my point. Some may want to just go through the setup and play with it. Then plan to wipe it and return it from the onset of buying it.
It's things they don't like can't be that big of a surprise.

theobject

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
This was the first time I ordered a phone with the expectation I may return it. Every other phone I've had there was no question I was keeping it. However, this was the first time I was buying a secondary phone. For me I'm not evaluating performance or functionality it's more of do I really need 2 phones, or in my case 3 since I already have a work phone. Plus a tablet, 2 laptops and the Galaxy Watch so I am connected all over the place.

My initial plan was to swap SIM between the Flip and my Note20U. So far I have left the SIM in the Flip and don't look at the N20U so much. I don't even open the Flip that much because I look at the external screen. I do love the convenience factor of carrying around outside the house. I am probably going to add a fifth line to my Verizon plan and give the Flip a dedicated number. With a $350 e-card for adding a new line it won't cost me anything.

But to each their own. Who am I to judge?

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

A return period is a part of any business. Apple Samsung google, amazon et al. are Billion dollar companies. So I have no problem returning a product within the return period. But I don't buy just to try. I buy because I really wanted to like it, but tings don't always work out.

I never punish the regular guy/gal selling on swappa or ebay. I just resell it if I didn't like it.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
To answer the OP's question, no I don't make it a habit to purchase phones that way. I will do some research, definitely go to a brick and mortar store and "handle" the phone to make sure (or not) it's comfortable in my hand and to see it up close and personal. I read people's comments here at AC. I make SURE it's got an SD card or not (Flip 3 doesn't so that annoys me) but I do know ahead of time and that's important for me. I don't want to be paying restocking fees. Phones are expensive enough without that. I try to be as sure as I can be that I want the phone before purchase. I guess I thought everyone did at least some of this background footwork. Maybe not?

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I posted this in a thread about who is returning the phone, and thought it appropriate here as well:

So, I found this interesting.

Called my local AT&T store to see if they have any in stock.

They do, but the gentleman on the phone said that he'd like to provide me with some information before I potentially waste my time, and maybe buy a phone that I'll quickly return.

This is the most returned phone they've ever had... he gave me several reasons customers are citing, but the most common one, mentioned by the two returns he had today even... battery life.

Frankly, I'm a "Research-O-Holic," and tend to know more about anything I'm buying, (cars, 'puters, phones, etc.), than those who sell the items... so I was able to cite to him... I had said, "Let me guess..." before he could give me the reasons... and I called out every one, which gave him a chuckle, lol.

I've been working from home for over a year now, and am now a permanently remote.

So I use my tablet for everything for which I used to use my phone, including texting thanks to an app called MightyText.

Not only do I rarely use it... but I'm never far from a power source, so I don't give a tinker's damn about the battery. My car even has wireless charging, so easy peasy to keep it charged.

The only time I use my phone is for calls, and going out. Frankly, I by no means need anything close to my current Note 10+, lol.

I do however want to be able to put a small form factor phone in my pocket, and leave it there when I sit down.

That is my biggest, current, desire for a phone.

So, I highly doubt that I'd return it, but I found the fact that the AT&T store rep was cautioning me, lol.

"I'd love to sell you this phone, and will do so gladly, but I'd like to give you some information first..." :)

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I posted this in a thread about who is returning the phone, and thought it appropriate here as well:

So, I found this interesting.

Called my local AT&T store to see if they have any in stock.

They do, but the gentleman on the phone said that he'd like to provide me with some information before I potentially waste my time, and maybe buy a phone that I'll quickly return.

This is the most returned phone they've ever had... he gave me several reasons customers are citing, but the most common one, mentioned by the two returns he had today even... battery life.

Frankly, I'm a "Research-O-Holic," and tend to know more about anything I'm buying, (cars, 'puters, phones, etc.), than those who sell the items... so I was able to cite to him... I had said, "Let me guess..." before he could give me the reasons... and I called out every one, which gave him a chuckle, lol.

I've been working from home for over a year now, and am now a permanently remote.

So I use my tablet for everything for which I used to use my phone, including texting thanks to an app called MightyText.

Not only do I rarely use it... but I'm never far from a power source, so I don't give a tinker's damn about the battery. My car even has wireless charging, so easy peasy to keep it charged.

The only time I use my phone is for calls, and going out. Frankly, I by no means need anything close to my current Note 10+, lol.

I do however want to be able to put a small form factor phone in my pocket, and leave it there when I sit down.

That is my biggest, current, desire for a phone.

So, I highly doubt that I'd return it, but I found the fact that the AT&T store rep was cautioning me, lol.

"I'd love to sell you this phone, and will do so gladly, but I'd like to give you some information first..." :)

Good post.
I'm like you as for battery life. I stick mine on a charger, it charges pretty quickly really. We all have chargers everywhere in 2021 anyway.
Flip the bad boy shut, drop in my pocket and roll on.
Either all those returns are from power users and this isn't a power use phone. Or they just like to get a phone, play with it cause it's different. And then return it and say it's bad battery life.
Or apparently a lot of people live under rocks in the outback and don't have access to chargers halfway thru the day.

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Good post.
I'm like you as for battery life. I stick mine on a charger, it charges pretty quickly really. We all have chargers everywhere in 2021 anyway.
Flip the bad boy shut, drop in my pocket and roll on.
Either all those returns are from power users and this isn't a power use phone. Or they just like to get a phone, play with it cause it's different. And then return it and say it's bad battery life.
Or apparently a lot of people live under rocks in the outback and don't have access to chargers halfway thru the day.

Agreed.

I certainly get that some folks may not have ready access to a charger during the day for whatever reason... outdoor job leaping to mind... but there are very small power supplies available one can keep in a pocket and use, but to each their own... means that maybe I can get a returned one for less money, lol.

I think most returns are due to the phone not fitting ones needs, for one reason or another... not because it's a "bad" phone.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
The world nowadays has become pathetic (in my opinion) for some things. I am not saying that anyone/everyone who returns a phone is pathetic. However, for cases like people buying a phone and then returning it because they afterwards decide they don't like that it does not have an SD card or no headphone jack (hypothetical examples of things they have no excuse to not know about), well that is just plain laziness and pathetic and about people not taking responsibility for doing enough homework or for their decisions (in my opinion), and something we have unfortunately allowed our world to evolve to wrongly allow it to be expected (in my opinion).

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I've never returned a phone in my life.... I do tons of research because I enjoy it, and I get my phones brand new but as cheap as possible (which is usually pretty cheap lol). So not a lot of incentive to return them, and I literally use them up.

I think a lot of folks like the thrill of the whole "new phone purchase experience" almost more than the actual phone itself, which makes it easier to buy and return it so they can go through the experience again. I'm not knocking it, everyone has the right to do what makes them feel good, especially now with all the fear and uncertainty going on in the world :-\

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Every phone I've owned I've had my hands on before purchase, if I really hated one I would return it but hasn't happened yet.

I certainly wouldn't buy one just to try it with the intention of returning it, that's shady and borderline fraudulent. Phone can't get sold again once it's been activated, it's no longer a new device.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I can see how that could be a way to get up close with some of the more innovative devices coming out, like folding phones. Back when smart phones were a new thing I had a pretty good addiction going regarding new devices. They were coming out in droves. Nokia was the king along with blackberry. No touch screens but lots of new ideas. I’d get a new phone every couple of months always selling the old one on Howard Forums. Their buy/sell forum was hot and a phone could be easily sold quickly, then on to the next, rinse and repeat, over and over. You guys remember HoFo? Still around but pretty quiet these days.
When the folds came out I thought maybe I’d break my long held Samsung embargo and try one out. But I do my research and didn’t jump right in. I came to the conclusion that they had to many downsides for me personally so I passed.
I would not and have never gotten a new phone knowing it had a good chance of going back. To much trouble not to even mention the set up process only to play with it and then return.
The crease reminds me of the iPhone notch. Once seen, never can be unseen. It would drive me nuts. Also the soft screen, another deal breaker. I don’t know why they can’t make a real glass screen foldable. Kind of along the lines of the surface duo only done better and flip up, not like a book aka duo. There would be a seam noticeable in the middle but it could be minimal if engineered properly. Best part it would be high quality glass not flex plastic. That reminds me way to much of the old windows pro pressure sensitive style screens you needed to use a stylus for to type every letter.
Phones have come along way in the last 20 years but to answer the OP’s question so I stay on topic I would not ever buy a phone with high intentions of returning it. I will say that the Sammy folds are the newest and probably the biggest innovation to come along in quite awhile.

wilsodw

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
The only phone I ever returned was the Verizon Palm phone. Worked ok just a little cumbersome and small was all. Wanted something for the pocket.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Agreed.

I certainly get that some folks may not have ready access to a charger during the day for whatever reason... outdoor job leaping to mind... but there are very small power supplies available one can keep in a pocket and use, but to each their own... means that maybe I can get a returned one for less money, lol.

I think most returns are due to the phone not fitting ones needs, for one reason or another... not because it's a "bad" phone.

Sometimes no matter what others say For, no matter the specs you have to try a device for yourself to see if you can live with its compromises.

For me the concern is never that I can't charge a device when I need to. For me, there are charging options everywhere. For me, and surely some other technophiles, the issue is that with weak battery life I have to charge the device more often...and therefore, wear out the battery sooner. I need to know that my device is going to, with reasonable effort, stay in as close to like-new condition as possible. That, in 5-6 months that one of my phones' battery is not going to be worn out. ...or notably wearing out.

That is why battery life in a device is of concern to me. I am intrigued by the Flip 3 but the smallish battery is worrisome.

If I can charge a device 3-4x a day (if necessary) and the battery, after 7-8 months will still have roughly the same battery strength it had when new I'd be more comforted. I just don't know if the Flip 3 can provide that. Yes, I know battery replacement is an option...but still.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm reading where people are returning these Flips because they don't do this or that. Some are even calling the 'flip' part a sales gimmick. I don't get that accusation. I mean.... it's literally named a friggin FLIP.
You knew that when you bought it.

And disappointment over battery life is an arguable point. But I already had done my research and knew the battery life wasn't exactly what larger batteries are. The battery life is fine for me tho. I usually top off during the day with any phone I own. It's not an experiment to see how far I can push a battery. It's a cellphone. Besides, I'm not on an outback excursion and away from electricity during the day.

I would wager that most, if not all, of the people in AC here have researched their phones before they bought them.

So it's hard to see how someone didn't just go thru all the hassle of buying a phone to simply play with it just so they can return it and then complain about how it doesn't get a fair return value or find fault in every millimeter of the device.

I mean, it's a free world. But it's like someone went to a lot, looked at trucks, bought one, drove the truck home, drove it a week, and then suddenly went...

I'm taking this truck back.
I don't like color.

Do you guys buy phones like this? I've had phones since bag phones and I've never taken one back because I changed my mind.

Buyin' a phone and then being surprised enough to return it (unless you just bought it and didn't even Google it and who would do that in 2021?) seems odd to me.
Im.same way , i do my research, try get little hands on and havnt regret any of my phone purchases , but xan understand some want to give a test drive for 14 days which is great , but cant understand the complaint afterwards, if it didn't work out then it just didn't. Lot don't realize that there hasnt been a software update to address some bugs or fixes yet

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
No, I've always researched a phone and never purchased one just to try it and then return it.

The only time I ever returned a phone was because it was defective.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy