Do you hate your S-Pen?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I don't hate my S-Pen but I don't like it either. I've had the all of the Note styled Ultra models and this is the first one that the S-Pen just seems cheap. The first few times I took it out of the holder I noticed that it didn't feel right. I tried putting it in my S23 and it didn't feel right but it didn't feel the same. I tried putting the S23 pen in the 24 and it didn't feel same as the S24 pen in the S24 slot. My theory is the pen has a harder shell, not as soft and subtle as previous pens, and the slot/holder/pocket it lives in is somehow also more plastic-y and the two together just have a horrible feel. Everyone is complaining about a color difference in the screen that is nearly inspectable, to me anyway, yet this is given a pass? Hopefully in a few weeks I will have become accustomed to this and it won't bother me. If not I can see myself buying a new one with hopes it's better.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I never had the S23 Ultra, but I'm not noticing any difference between the S Pen of the S24 Ultra and that of the S22 Ultra I had previously.

Maybe you could compare them at a phone store and see if they're different. It's possible yours is defective.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I pulled the SPen on my kid's phone, probably both of them and didn't notice anything odd in the moment. Maybe it's just the grey one is made of something different. Whatever it appears to be it seems to be a combination of the pen and phone. If I put the old pen in the new phone it doesn't feel like I'm describing but it doesn't feel like the old pen in the old phone. Same if I put the new pen in the old phone. It's different but not as odd as new in new. It feels hollow, tinny but the pen is definitely not as subtle, soft and leathery as previous pens. Didn't you say you have the grey unit that comes with the black pen? I'm wondering if it isn't made of the same stuff as the old pens. I mean last year's devices the pens were all black. I'll have to see what my kid's pens are like. I can't just ask them because this is their first and it's all they know.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I pulled the SPen on my kid's phone, probably both of them and didn't notice anything odd in the moment. Maybe it's just the grey one is made of something different. Whatever it appears to be it seems to be a combination of the pen and phone. If I put the old pen in the new phone it doesn't feel like I'm describing but it doesn't feel like the old pen in the old phone. Same if I put the new pen in the old phone. It's different but not as odd as new in new. It feels hollow, tinny but the pen is definitely not as subtle, soft and leathery as previous pens. Didn't you say you have the grey unit that comes with the black pen? I'm wondering if it isn't made of the same stuff as the old pens. I mean last year's devices the pens were all black. I'll have to see what my kid's pens are like. I can't just ask them because this is their first and it's all they know.
I have a grey phone with a grey pen. I don't have the S22 Ultra anymore, so I can't compare.

Reactions: dakini03

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I've owned every Samsung phone with an S Pen since Note 2.

This Spen doesn't feel "cheaper" or worse in my mind. If anything being flat and fitting the Titanium frame it feels more premium to me.

Same. Rocking em since the Note 3 and don't want to be without it. I like the flat side and almost zero latency. Premium accessory imo.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I don't hate my S-Pen but I don't like it either. I've had the all of the Note styled Ultra models and this is the first one that the S-Pen just seems cheap. The first few times I took it out of the holder I noticed that it didn't feel right. I tried putting it in my S23 and it didn't feel right but it didn't feel the same. I tried putting the S23 pen in the 24 and it didn't feel same as the S24 pen in the S24 slot. My theory is the pen has a harder shell, not as soft and subtle as previous pens, and the slot/holder/pocket it lives in is somehow also more plastic-y and the two together just have a horrible feel. Everyone is complaining about a color difference in the screen that is nearly inspectable, to me anyway, yet this is given a pass? Hopefully in a few weeks I will have become accustomed to this and it won't bother me. If not I can see myself buying a new one with hopes it's better.
So you put your 23 pen in your 24 and it fit? My friends got stuck she had to send her 24 back.

Reactions: BEaRebel

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
IMO, there is a difference of materials between my black s22 & grey s24 S Pens.

It's hard to describe, but if I run my thumb up & down the s22 S Pen, it moves smoothly. On the s24 S Pen, it drags a bit & is not nearly as smooth.

That being said, the performance is the same! 👍
It just feels different... to me.
🙂

Attachments

• 20240214_024832.jpg
    20240214_024832.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I just don't use it. Never found them too useful.
I never use the Spen on my ultra. I use it on my tablet, I use it on my fold 5, but never the ultra. I think it's because the screen is smaller and it's easier just to use my fingers, and it's narrow unlike the fold and tablet Spen, doesn't feel natural.

I used to buy the note phones over the S series for the bigger screen, this time around it was for the upgraded features of the ultra, I came close to getting the 24+ this time around.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I never clicked them in, just a quick in and out. In at least one review I watched they mentioned they don't click closed so of course I'm going to try it. I did the side by side comparison dimensionally they look the same but the throw, the point where they click, seems to be different. One pen, don't remember which, didn't want to click until the head was inside the hole and the other didn't seem to even get close to the click point.

Thanks for posting the side by side pics of the pens. Look at how thin the the top, the clicky part, of the pens is on the S24 compared to the others. They're rounded giving them a little more bulk, where the 24 is flat thinning it out. I know it's minor but I think that's also part of what I'm feeling. And I know it's just me being picky for nothing, they all work the same. Well except for, I think it was 21 to the 22 or whatever the first one was to the second one. They added something that I don't remember now but that was part of my excuse for upgrading that year. Me, oh it does this one more thing and I'm getting a discount for trade in, yeah it's totally worth it.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
So after some playing it's at least partially the thinness of the clicker. Look at the clicky top part there, you can even see it in the photos barrybobbles posted. The cap is thinner and flatter than previous models and probably has other build differences making it feel more tinny. Not sure how else to spell it but to be clear more tin like. Anyway I'm almost used to it now or will be soon enough. Nothing that can be done about it.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
The thought did cross my mind but they seem to tweak their design each time so that past iterations don't work with the newest. Like my S22 case fit my S23 but they moved the buttons just enough that they were being pressed just wearing the case. This year the made the lenses a little bigger so they don't fit in cases with holes instead of one large hole. This is why you can't click the S23 pen in the S24 hole. Looking at the side by side of the pens the retaining notch appears to be in the same place so the pen is going in just as far so it has to be where the clicking mechanism crosses over. That crossover point is deeper so you can't reach it without risking getting the pen stuck in the new body. Will they release an aftermarket pen for this model, maybe, do I have faith that it will be better quality, nope.

I'm sure I'll get used to it the way we get used to other things in life. It's like the smell of a new place that after you've been there a few dozen times you don't even notice anymore. I'll become blind to this after a while.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
So after some playing it's at least partially the thinness of the clicker. Look at the clicky top part there, you can even see it in the photos barrybobbles posted. The cap is thinner and flatter than previous models and probably has other build differences making it feel more tinny. Not sure how else to spell it but to be clear more tin like. Anyway I'm almost used to it now or will be soon enough. Nothing that can be done about it.
The flatter cap is something I did notice is different, but that's actually something I prefer. I'm still able to easily press it to remove it or insert it when I'm using cases. The flatter design makes me less apt to constantly touch the cap, though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos