Do you think Verizon is dropping the ball?

ssplumb

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I can not believe that pre order would be at Best Buy and not at Verizon. I have been following the Thunderbolt like a stalker, watched all the videos on YouTube read the reviews hacked my Droid X to look like the Thunderbolt. Then I get punched in the stomach with a Best Buy pre order. Come on Verizon I know the iPhone is your baby right know but anyone who love technology is going to jump on the Thunderbolt and leave the outdated iPhone where it belongs on the shelf. I am a apple guy MacBook pro, iPad, iPad touch and I would not buy the iPhone over the Thunderbolt. Please join me in telling Verizon to get there heads out of there @&$!

upz3

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I hate Apple, that is my response to your concern. Stupid phone that is over marketed to people who have no idea about technology.

I get it at work too. Been trying to get Android enterprise approved for over a year but that damn iPhone is all that gets focused on. Only success I have is getting management to standardize the Xoom over the iPad.

Effington

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't matter where you buy it... as long as you're paying VZW for your phone usage every month, the hardware is just a delivery medium for that. That's why they can sell the phones at a loss with a two-year contract.

Plus, there's more money to be made with the iPhone, it appeals to a wider range of people - many of which don't even need or use a smartphone, they just want to have the iPhone... people don't feel that way about Android or the Thunderbolt.

BestBuy, Verizon Stores, Sears, K-Mart, your local gas station... who cares where you buy it? If anything, BB may be less likely to pressure you into buying overpriced accessories and unneeded add-ons like a phone salesman might whose commission depends on it.

Jtron

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Preorder @ Best Buy

I wish I could pre-order. As a VZW employee I can't purchase a phone from a third party retailer. :( I'm confident there will be plenty in stock for me to order one online. ;)

ssplumb

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Sorry. I am sure they will. I know that sometimes when you preorder they come a day or so early. I just wish verizon would take pre orders at the same time. I used walmart because I got there last Droid x the day it came out. Verizon was already sold out. I do not want to have to deal with night mare ever again. My account was messed up for weeks .

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
There is no info to suggest VZW wont offer pre-orders at the same time BB does. VZW just has had less leaks then BB on the release info. I would bet VZW will offer the same sales timelines as BB. there is no reason they wouldn't.

I am Fake Jesus

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
i dont think thats a big deal, i wanna get a droid 2 refurb or or the droid 2 non global for my wife. im gonna go to verizon that morning an buy mine an see if they can order me or have one in store.

does anyone know if they still carry the non global droid 2 or refurbs in stores at all.

Jtron

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Typically refurb's (CPO's) are sold exclusively online. They don't keep them in stock at stores and they can't be ordered by a rep over the phone. Hope that helps.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
If anything, BB may be less likely to pressure you into buying overpriced accessories and unneeded add-ons like a phone salesman might whose commission depends on it.

That made me chuckle. My brother bought an lcd tv a few years back and the BBY salesman was adamant that he had to get a Monster Cable hdmi cable. He said the difference would be night and day. He tried it (3' gold plated for $50), then tried my Phillips (6' non gold plated for $15) and there was no discernable difference. He return the BBY cable and bought a Phillips.

Now I'm not saying every BBy salesman is like that, but more often than not that is what I get. Salesmen are salesmen, most are not looking out for the customer, they are looking out for their commision/company.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
A few things that go through my mind when I read all this "Verizon is dropping the ball" and "Best Buy Exclusive" nonsense.

1) Best Buy can not release the phone until they get the "All Clear" from Verizon. Why you ask? Because Verizon's network has to support it. They can, however, start taking pre-orders at any time. A pre-order is not a PROMISE that you will have one on DAY X, it is a promise you will have one WHEN THEY BECOME AVAILABLE.

2) The article I read about the Best Buy exclusive also included the small line "Among Third Party Retailers", meaning to me that it would be at BB before say, Walmart, Costco, Radio Shack, or whatever. To think Verizon is going to have their first LTE baby available at Best Buy and not their corporate stores is pretty asinine.

In conclusion, Best Buy can take all the pre orders they want, but when Verizon starts taking pre-orders, too, then pucker up because it's coming...

TBolt2011

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
A few things that go through my mind when I read all this "Verizon is dropping the ball" and "Best Buy Exclusive" nonsense.

1) Best Buy can not release the phone until they get the "All Clear" from Verizon. Why you ask? Because Verizon's network has to support it. They can, however, start taking pre-orders at any time. A pre-order is not a PROMISE that you will have one on DAY X, it is a promise you will have one WHEN THEY BECOME AVAILABLE.

2) The article I read about the Best Buy exclusive also included the small line "Among Third Party Retailers", meaning to me that it would be at BB before say, Walmart, Costco, Radio Shack, or whatever. To think Verizon is going to have their first LTE baby available at Best Buy and not their corporate stores is pretty asinine.

In conclusion, Best Buy can take all the pre orders they want, but when Verizon starts taking pre-orders, too, then pucker up because it's coming...

Finally someone else with the same common sense...

I am Fake Jesus

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
That made me chuckle. My brother bought an lcd tv a few years back and the BBY salesman was adamant that he had to get a Monster Cable hdmi cable. He said the difference would be night and day. He tried it (3' gold plated for $50), then tried my Phillips (6' non gold plated for $15) and there was no discernable difference. He return the BBY cable and bought a Phillips.

first thanks jtron, wondering can i buy my tbolt, switch my wife to my fam plan with her current verizon phone an order a droid 2 cpo online with 2 year for her? first time doing a fam plan an online ordering

but yea im a cable tech/installer what ever but we have 4foot hdmi from samsung, they are sent from samsung with there cable boxes tho they dont have logos on ends. i laugh everytime i go to some douches house with a brand new big ass tv an has monster surge an gold plated cables. i tell him he can save $100 an take hdmi back i have one. they laugh an say mine is better. sometimes i saywell lets see if u notice a diff. they always say they do even tho ther isnt a damn diff. hhgregg is horrible for selling overprice nonsense they work off commision an bby doesnt. but its there money im just tryin to help.

ssplumb

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

Now I'm not saying every BBy salesman is like that, but more often than not that is what I get. Salesmen are salesmen, most are not looking out for the customer, they are looking out for their commision/company.

I had the same situation. I bought a 3D tv this December and best buy sales man tried to sell me a 3D hdmi cable for 119.00 which I found online for 12 and used a cheap 6.00 cable until it came and neither made a difference. Thank god they have a good return policy. I can not believe I was stupid enough to pay 119 for a cable in the first place. The accosiate I talked to did not have a clue about the techonligy he was truing to sell.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
first thanks jtron, wondering can i buy my tbolt, switch my wife to my fam plan with her current verizon phone an order a droid 2 cpo online with 2 year for her? first time doing a fam plan an online ordering

but yea im a cable tech/installer what ever but we have 4foot hdmi from samsung, they are sent from samsung with there cable boxes tho they dont have logos on ends. i laugh everytime i go to some douches house with a brand new big ass tv an has monster surge an gold plated cables. i tell him he can save $100 an take hdmi back i have one. they laugh an say mine is better. sometimes i saywell lets see if u notice a diff. they always say they do even tho ther isnt a damn diff. hhgregg is horrible for selling overprice nonsense they work off commision an bby doesnt. but its there money im just tryin to help.

The trick there is, don't let them see which one you are connecting, tell them it's theirs when it's really yours and see if they still think theirs is better.

I'm in electronics as well. I install & engineer sound, intercom, cable tv, cctv, & custom electronics systems in schools, detention facilities, hospitals, offices & community centers.

On certain things gold will make a difference (silver is actually the best), but on things like a/v when the signal is only travelling less than 10 feet, there will be no difference. But, that's how Monster, BBY, Radioshack, & so on make their money. Hell, even Dynex & Rocketfish (BBY in house brands) non gold plated hdmis sell for $30 compared to mine at $15. The trick is knowing where to buy.

ssplumb

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys. I understand that Verizon would have to give the go ahead to release the phone. I am just trying to figure out how to get the Thunderbolt as soon as possible. This is the first phone that I have seen so may conflicting reports. Hell it started last year as the Incredible HD and had a release date in November. I guess this is a fall back of being addicted to technology. I mean most normal people walk into a store and say I am not sure what phone I want let me look around. People like us live for the feeling of that new phone in our hands. My wife hates when I get a new phone because she knows for the first three days all my free time goes to the phone. For some reason this phone has turned me goofy I installed the thunderbolt boot animation and the 4G LTE icon over the 3g. I think it may be because I feel in love with the EVO 4 but I have had to many problems with sprints billing. I had to fight for 2 years over a $1200 bill that was wrong. So after that mess and I could never go back. So to see that this is close to the EVO but so much better makes my toes curl :) also the quadrant scores beat the Bionic and my rooted Droid X over clocked. Lets go Big Red and stop messing with us before I go to At&T and get the Atrix.

Jtron

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

You should be able to do what you've described and combine the account. I'm not sure if there are Droid 2 CPO's online. The inventory on the CPO's is pretty random. You may want to check and see if she has a NE2 credit on her account before combining. If so use the credit, then combine the accts so you can save a little $$.

CBMC

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
The trick there is, don't let them see which one you are connecting, tell them it's theirs when it's really yours and see if they still think theirs is better.

I'm in electronics as well. I install & engineer sound, intercom, cable tv, cctv, & custom electronics systems in schools, detention facilities, hospitals, offices & community centers.

On certain things gold will make a difference (silver is actually the best), but on things like a/v when the signal is only travelling less than 10 feet, there will be no difference. But, that's how Monster, BBY, Radioshack, & so on make their money. Hell, even Dynex & Rocketfish (BBY in house brands) non gold plated hdmis sell for $30 compared to mine at $15. The trick is knowing where to buy.

Getting off topic a bit, but yeah it is really comical when people insist on monster cables. Most I have paid for a hdmi is $7 which I felt was high. I find that if you watch the deal sites you can get them for $1 or $2.

Also, I was under the impression that best buy sales didn't get commission. Maybe I heard wrong about that.
Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol