Does anyone know if the new Motorola Skip will work, or how to use NFC to bypass a manual password l

RivertonPaul

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if the new Motorola Skip will work, or how to use NFC to bypass a manual password login? This was announced for the Moto X, but I am hoping it will work for the Droid Maxx.

FoneFreak

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
I second that and was hunting the interwebs for the same answer. You would think it would work no problem at all, but I don't want to be the first one to find out it doesn't.

Casen

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
You need root as of now. And I'm pretty sure the skip won't work on the droids. I did ask punit soni to make the droids work with it though. He said he'd look into it.....

Sent from my DROID MAXX via Tapatalk 4.

RMK92

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I Just noticed after the recent update that there is a "moto skip setup" version 1.0.30 option in the all apps section of settings, which is a good sign that they are working towards integrating the droids.

R.K.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The soak test is over so I can comment: yes, Moto Skip unlocking support is part of the changelog for the new update. I don't have a Skip, though, so I could not test.

steveg2112

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
If you leave the phone on the tag will it stay unlocked? Is there any extra battery drain if the phone is left close enough to the tag to detect it? I use a holster for my phone and wonder how it will work with the skip on the holster and therefore always in contact with the phone.

Posted via Android Central App

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes, confirmed working here also.

With a trusted BT device like the Cobra Tag, I don't see me bothering with it much, though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

anon(19981)

May 2, 2010
Visit site
If you leave the phone on the tag will it stay unlocked? Is there any extra battery drain if the phone is left close enough to the tag to detect it? I use a holster for my phone and wonder how it will work with the skip on the holster and therefore always in contact with the phone.

I just tested it and the screen will turn off for a second then I get a vibrate and the screen turn back on. When I hit the power button it does the sane thing.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Sweet, I must have this. My work email requires I have a PIN and I hate it! This is super cool.

So it works great? If so, I'm ordering today!

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Sweet, I must have this. My work email requires I have a PIN and I hate it! This is super cool.

So it works great? If so, I'm ordering today!

I think most people would be happier with a trusted bluetooth device, which can be had in many different forms. Dedicated things like an InSite or Cobra keychain fob are about $10-$15 more expensive, but much more convenient and seamless. I have both (from my testing days and prefer the Cobra), but i also use my BT headphones, my BT Heart Rate Monitor, and my car's BT audio link. All can be used at the same time, there's no exclusivity. Very convenient.

That said, yes, it works great, tap your phone to the Skip and it unlocks.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I think most people would be happier with a trusted bluetooth device, which can be had in many different forms. Dedicated things like an InSite or Cobra keychain fob are about $10-$15 more expensive, but much more convenient and seamless. I have both (from my testing days and prefer the Cobra), but i also use my BT headphones, my BT Heart Rate Monitor, and my car's BT audio link. All can be used at the same time, there's no exclusivity. Very convenient.

That said, yes, it works great, tap your phone to the Skip and it unlocks.

What trusted Bluetooth device do you recommend? I ordered the skip this morning, but the Bluetooth device does sound more convenient. I cab see having both being a good solution. The Skip spots conveniently located for when the Bluetooth devices is forgotten or has a dead battery.

I had no idea these devices existed!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

One issue, though: if you have multiple items set up as a trusted BT device, and you disconnect from one of them, even if the other device is still connected, you will still be presented with a lockscreen the next time that you power up the display.

Distorted Loop

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
What trusted Bluetooth device do you recommend? I ordered the skip this morning, but the Bluetooth device does sound more convenient. I cab see having both being a good solution. The Skip spots conveniently located for when the Bluetooth devices is forgotten or has a dead battery.

I had no idea these devices existed!

The Cobra Tag is my preferred trusted device. Great range, 6-7 days between charges, good keychain size.

Check the Trusted Bluetooth Device thread here for a good discussion on the subject.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chao