Does Filmic Pro Improve Huawei P20 Pro stabilized 1080p30 video quality

Sszeto

Sep 1, 2018
Visit site
I am really leaning on purchasing this phone especially with the new leather backing options that were revealed.

I love the Photos it can take. I do most recording at 1080p. I must have youtubed over 50 P20 pro videos and reviews. In my opinion, it seems the 1080p footage from a P20 pro is greatly lacking in detail and sharpness compared to other flagships. Perhaps the stabilization at 1080p30 is TOO good, leading to an over aliasing type effect that results in a blurry 1080p, almost like an upscaled 720p as stated in by GSMarenas comparison with the S9+ i beleive?

Here is an example: at the 2:43 mark. The building on the Left. You can see clearly as he nears the end of the bridge the leaves on the tree is severely lacking in sharpness in the p20 pro.

https://youtu.be/Mz2KikiQr40?t=163

1080p 30 without stabilization or 1080p 60 seems to offer much better detail at the sacrifice of the stabilization of course.

Basically I want to record at 1080p30 with stabilization but retain detail and sharpness

My questions are the following. For anyone that has the P20 pro with Filmic Pro or other apps like opencamera or ultracorder

Does recording at 1080p 30 with Filmic Pro's stabilization option increase the sharpness and detail of the image compared to stock P20 camera app? (with stabilization on)

If not, does turning up the Bitrate while recording 1080p30 using Filmic Pro(stabilized) increase the sharpness and detail enough to notice a sharper image vs stock camera app 1080p30 stabilized footage?

Last edited:

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Doesn’t FiLMic Pro (on Android) offer a trial period or refund if it doesn’t meet your needs. If so you could try it and see. I use FiLMic Pro but it’s not on Android. I shoot in log gamma or flat gamma (kind of like raw for video) for the expanded dynamic range I can achieve. The phone I use takes great video already with the native app so I really can’t compare and even if I could it may not be applicable to your Android phone.

Sszeto

Sep 1, 2018
Visit site
The problem is I don't have the P20 pro. If I can take good detailed 1080p30 stabilized videos on it through a third part camera app then i would buy it. The stock camera app takes too much detail away through the stabilization algorithm and ends up looking like 720p upscaled.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar