Does Note 4 camera lag and not focus for about 20 seconds after opening?

carebearess

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I just got a Note 4 last week. When I open the stock camera app, it takes about 20 seconds for it to focus on anything. Is this normal? It only happens when I open it after not being in use for about 30 minutes. If I keep opening the app, it is fine.

I went back to T-Mobile and exchanged for a different phone, same thing. I've tried with stock and market camera app. Same thing. Just not sure if it's supposed to be this way or if something is wrong with my phone.

keyzlife

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I just got a Note 4 last week. When I open the stock camera app, it takes about 20 seconds for it to focus on anything. Is this normal? It only happens when I open it after not being in use for about 30 minutes. If I keep opening the app, it is fine.

I went back to T-Mobile and exchanged for a different phone, same thing. I've tried with stock and market camera app. Same thing. Just not sure if it's supposed to be this way or if something is wrong with my phone.
Its a defect with the camera itself. Ran into the same thing with my wife's white tmo version. Ordered the replacement phone from warehouse and it works perfect.

sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note® 4

Sam Itani

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I just bought a note 4 from some one and I realized I have the same problem.. I mean it works after 20 seconds like you said after I spam my finger on what I want it to focus... But it is very annoying.

keyzlife

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I could tell it was a hardware problem when I would tap the end of the phone and it would focus.

Joe1967

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Yah I just got my note 4 about 3 weeks ago. Has had the same issue with taking 30 seconds to focus the first time the app is opened. I switched from the SD card to internal memory and my problem has disappeared. So glad because I love the camera quality.

Posted via the Android Central App

heathersimon

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I could tell it was a hardware problem when I would tap the end of the phone and it would focus.

Yup, if you give the top of your phone a thwack and the camera focuses right away, send it in to be repaired or get a replacement. (Still on my List of Things to Do, but I just don't want to be without this otherwise glorious device for a week...)

zeroviper89

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site
This is as per T-mobile!!

Reset the Camera settings and retest.
From the Home screen, open the Apps tray.
Tap Camera.
Tap the Settings icon.
Tap Reset settings.
Reboot the device into Safe Mode and retest. If the camera is able to focus while in Safe mode, a 3rd party app has been installed and will need to be uninstalled.
If the above steps do not work contact customer care.

It seems like it may be a hardware component, so an OTA may not present a fix, only a device exchange. If I end up with more information, I will be sure to share.

Otherwise, please follow the steps, I definitely understand it may not be related to third parties, but for now, those are the steps we have to try, and if they don't work, feel free to contact us directly so we can reference the IMEI and explore any needed exchange options!

If any new info comes up, I'll be back to share!

Hot off the presses

#note4nearsighted

#note4focusgate

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I had this issue on my AT&T phone. I reset the camera settings, didn't work. I did a factory reset and still didn't work. I went into the AT&T store and showed them what was going on (it took 11 full seconds before it would start to focus on everything) and the rep wanted to reset the camera settings and try it out for a few days. I explained I had already done that and then a factory reset so they offered to exchange it since I had only had it for 7 days. The exchange process took forever (not the reps fault, just all the hoops the system made them jump through) but all is good and my new Note 4 focuses within 1 second. If you are within your 14 days of purchase (depends on carrier) just take it in and exchange it.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
As others have said, this is not normal. I can hit the camera icon and by the time the screen appears (about a second or so), it's usually already focused and ready to go.

I do have the occasional issue on macro shots with the focus being "indecisive" but specifically selecting a focus point clears that up in a hurry, usually.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kora_soge