Does SmartSwitch after full Google Backup destroy the backup history

jmeander

May 16, 2015
Visit site
Going from S22u to S24u, both unlocked. Ran SmartSwitch but there's been some weirdness so I think it's time for a factory reset. I'd SmartSwitched from an S10 to S22 and I think it's time to start fresh; too many legacy issues.

Since I've used the S24 for more than a week, I want to make sure I retain all that recent data (plus not risk hosing everything entirely) so I thought this might work:

On S24
- Run Google Backup > all data to my Google One Drive account
- Turn off WiFi and go in airplane mode to stop anything new coming
- SmartSwitch via cable to copy all data to S22 (insurance in case Google Backup Restore bombs)

On S22
- Receive SmartSwitch data from S24 and confirm looks good

Back to S24
- Factory reset
- Google Backup Restore from the S24 before the reset

Twice now I've run a good Google Backup on the S24, followed by SmartSwitch to copy the S24 to the S22. Problem is that after SmartSwitch completes, Google Backup on the S24 says No Backup exists?? Why does doing a SmartSwitch cause Google Backup to think there is none on the origin device? I can tell from the storage on my Google Drive that the backup is there. I've never had to do a restore from Google so am concered about the No Backup and what I'll run into after the factory reset.

Am I overthinking this, and is there a better way? Have to ship my S22 to Samsung tomorrow so am sweating this.

Reactions: BEaRebel

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi
When you go to settings>account and back up on your device then back up on Google tap you don't see back up?

The best thing I preach over the years on this forum some like smart switch back up to external USBC drive but
PC Smart switch utility makes complete back up that you can restore anytime and make multi back ups

BEaRebel

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for this post.
I am about to sweat this as well.
Back ups to Dropbox, Google & potentially One Drive (tho I loath), but still want a nice clean "smart switch" from sg23u to sg24u.
I've needed to do a lot of tweaking - no problem. But cleaning a device & sending back...Slightly scarey.

My computer is too old for reliability, & partly why I purchased 1tb sg24u. Guess there are some instances you still need that Laptop.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
When you go to settings>account and back up on your device then back up on Google tap you don't see back up?

The best thing I preach over the years on this forum some like smart switch back up to external USBC drive but
PC Smart switch utility makes complete back up that you can restore anytime and make multi back ups
Absolutely the best, I always use Smart Switch for PC.

It has saved me a few times. Recently, I was looking for an old file on a s22U backup, but I didn't find it, so I checked a Note 20U backup. Found it & restored it to the s24U. Very handy.
👍

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for this post.
I am about to sweat this as well.
Back ups to Dropbox, Google & potentially One Drive (tho I loath), but still want a nice clean "smart switch" from sg23u to sg24u.
I've needed to do a lot of tweaking - no problem. But cleaning a device & sending back...Slightly scarey.

My computer is too old for reliability, & partly why I purchased 1tb sg24u. Guess there are some instances you still need that Laptop.
Try getting external USB c storage drive or keep using those clouds plus Samsung cloud on the device which won't do pictures but settings , home page etc..
You got pictures and videos covered with other cloud service so good to go.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter