Does the Play Store view my phone as a new device after a factory reset with MAC randomization?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

If I download an app, factory reset, download the same app, does the Play Store view that as me having the same app twice on two different devices due to my phone's MAC randomization even if I download with the same account? If so, are there limits on the amount of times I'd be able to download specific apps?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

aokusman1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
If I download an app, factory reset, download the same app, does the Play Store view that as me having the same app twice on two different devices due to my phone's MAC randomization even if I download with the same account? If so, are there limits on the amount of times I'd be able to download specific apps?

No. Your play store purchases are tied to your google account.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
With all that said - the Play Store also uses a device ID string, I believe in the firmware, that is provided through the Phone permission, the randomized WiFi MAC address won't do anything in this regard...

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
With all that said - the Play Store also uses a device ID string, I believe in the firmware, that is provided through the Phone permission, the randomized WiFi MAC address won't do anything in this regard...
Yeah. Google needs to know the kind of device that you may be installing an app on to be sure it's compatible.

For example, I have the Play Store on my S20 FE with Android 12. But I also have it on a Fire HD 8 tablet with Android 9 (well, Fire OS 7 based on Android 9). There are some apps on the phone that the Play Store won't install on the tablet because it's not compatible.

Some apps, it'll say "may have some incompatibilities" but still install and do run. Buy there are others that it just won't install.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae