Question does using ur phone while charging actually damage the battery?

ethmcg16

Nov 26, 2023
Visit site
title says all, i like to play games while my phone is charging, however I do try to keep it cool n not let it get hot, would using the phone while charging even when it's not getting hot damage the battery?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The thing is that it did feel very hot but was showing 38 degrees
A couple things to note.

1. The heat you feel on the outside of the phone doesn't necessarily apply to the components on the inside. It means the vapor chamber and other cooling features are doing their job transferring heat to the outside.

2. Where it felt hot is a factor as well. Often times The battery sits in the lower half of the phone and the processor sits near the top. Mine is like that and the only time I feel heat is near the top where the processor sits. If your battery is reading 38°C, that is warm, but not dangerously so. I would trust that over what you feel on the outside of the body.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
A couple things to note.

1. The heat you feel on the outside of the phone doesn't necessarily apply to the components on the inside. It means the vapor chamber and other cooling features are doing their job transferring heat to the outside.

2. Where it felt hot is a factor as well. Often times The battery sits in the lower half of the phone and the processor sits near the top. Mine is like that and the only time I feel heat is near the top where the processor sits. If your battery is reading 38°C, that is warm, but not dangerously so. I would trust that over what you feel on the outside of the body.
Good point the heat being transferred out

Reactions: Laura Knotek

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Hey! I always keep an eye on my phone while it's charging so it doesn't exceed 100%. However today I made a stupid misstake and charged the phone while playing PUBG. The charger is at 90w and from what is witnessed did not exceed 38 degrees Celsius while doing this. Have been paranoid that I somehow damaged the battery or inflicted some kind of damage to it? How do I know it's fine and have It perhaps gotten any damages?
What you did isn't damaging your battery but it does increase how long your phone needs to recharge the battery.

When you connect your phone to your charger, the charger starts supplying power to the battery to restore its depleted power again. Your charger can only put out a specified amount of power and your phone itself can only receive a specified amount. One or the other may or may not be match up exactly so there's a given variable involved.
But that's just one aspect. When you use your phone while it's charging, you're intentionally using additional power to play a game or whatever. Power that should be going to your battery's charging process but is instead partly being used by you. The more you're using is taxing the CPU and GPU in your phone, increasing the heat build-up that';s already going to happen with your battery as is charges.
Ideally we should all just keep our phones within the 20% to 80% range and to power off them when charging (that is completely powered off, not just in sleep mode with the display off). But that's just an assessment done by research lab's. Here in the real world, for most of us that isn't practical at all. So use your phone as you wish when it's charging, it doesn't 'damage' the phone but be aware of the problems it adds.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coldel