Does your screen look off balance?

Is your screen off balance?

• Total voters

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I've had my Fascinate since launch day, so I have absolutely no idea why I'm just noticing this. When I look in the upper right corner of the notification panel, the black bar appears to be thinner than the left corner. Upon further examination, the screen seems to sort of bend to the right as you move your eyes downward. I know this sounds totally ridiculous and crazy, but I verified this on 3 Fascinates, and confirmed it with someone else I know. Now it's driving me nuts.

So, I want to know, does yours do this?

Edit: If you vote yes or no, and have a non Froyo build running on your phone, can you please post that info in this thread?

spectre72

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I do not see such an effect on my Fascinate, but it is also stock, i.e., not rooted, or anything other than the condition it was in at the store when I bought it last November.

MolecularGraph

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
My left side seems shorter than right however, like the space between the top of numbers/notifications is shorter on the left? If that makes sense. But its not really that big a deal.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Lol @ you guys. The funny part is that I had put a few back when I noticed this; so I thought maybe I had one too many. Unfortunately, I woke up this morning and still saw it :/

@spectre72 I kind of wondered if this was an EB01 thing.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Lol @ you guys. The funny part is that I had put a few back when I noticed this; so I thought maybe I had one too many. Unfortunately, I woke up this morning and still saw it :/

@spectre72 I kind of wondered if this was an EB01 thing.

Cory ill help you out, just send me all the phones so you dont have to look at them :D

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Cory, thanks to you pointing this out to me last night, this is ALL I can notice now when I look at my phone!!!

I couldn't stop laughing for like 20 minutes at some of the text messages you were sending me. I'd go to reply to one of them and it was too hard to type a response I was laughing so hard.

Cory ill help you out, just send me all the phones so you dont have to look at them :D

Lol, I'm down to 2 now and one of them is my tester.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Here's a pic.

IMG_0831.jpg

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
If the numbers on that time are lined up perfectly, then there is definitely a noticeable bend. Just look at the top of the 3 and the top of the 4. Big difference.

JeremytheIndian

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I know this isn't the point of the thread... but what lockscreen is that cory? Or is it a clock app?

And no i'm not seeing a bend. Fonts can be misleading the 4 may not actually the the same height as the 3. I just looked at mine the the google search bar close to the top and it looks even. I think your eyes may be playing tricks on you.

Also are thinking it's software like how the screen is being displayed or are you thinking it a hardware issue like the screen is physically messed up?

Last edited:

Brennb#AC

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Could it be an optical illusion? There is a lot of information displayed on the notification bar on the right hand side, that is in contrast with the dark background. Just like the picture below.

Google Image Result for http://chrismarkland.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/byb-optical-illusions-circles-clip_image001.jpg

This... I was going to suggest the same thing. If I hold mine at any sort of angle it looks pinched on the right where there is text compared to the left where it is blank. If I drop the notification tab down and look at the bar, which now has the date in the left it looks quite even.

Stock/rooted.

Chris3D

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
If the numbers on that time are lined up perfectly, then there is definitely a noticeable bend. Just look at the top of the 3 and the top of the 4. Big difference.

It's very common for typefaces to have rounded characters like O, S, C, 9, 8, 3, etc. slightly taller than square ones like 1, 4, H, E, F... I've attached an example using the venerable Helvetica typeface.

It's generally unnoticeable on small point sizes, but becomes more and more noticeable when the size gets larger, which is perfectly exemplified in the clock in the photo Cory posted.

In other words, this is totally normal. If that's what you're basing the (mis)alignment of the screen on, you can stop worrying.

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Cory's been smokin the good stuff

So mine phone is fine, and always has been LOL. I was a pipe fitter for a long time and I can tell you that optical illusions are usually hard to catch. If you wanna know for sure use a small square (L shaped drafting and carpentry tool). Line it up with the edge of your screen and put it against the bottom of your notification bar. You'll know for sure, and we won't have to hear about how many fascinates you have any more.

I'm using the midnight theme right now just in case that helps. I used a square to check.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I know this isn't the point of the thread... but what lockscreen is that cory? Or is it a clock app?

It's a live wallpaper called WP Clock. It's really cool.

And no i'm not seeing a bend. Fonts can be misleading the 4 may not actually the the same height as the 3. I just looked at mine the the google search bar close to the top and it looks even. I think your eyes may be playing tricks on you.

Also are thinking it's software like how the screen is being displayed or are you thinking it a hardware issue like the screen is physically messed up?

It's very common for typefaces to have rounded characters like O, S, C, 9, 8, 3, etc. slightly taller than square ones like 1, 4, H, E, F... I've attached an example using the venerable Helvetica typeface.

It's generally unnoticeable on small point sizes, but becomes more and more noticeable when the size gets larger, which is perfectly exemplified in the clock in the photo Cory posted.

In other words, this is totally normal. If that's what you're basing the (mis)alignment of the screen on, you can stop worrying.

I think I might be losing it. I don't know why, after all this time, I just started noticing this.

this photo suffers from fisheye. no help just to mention it LOL.

Edit: AND I NEED TO BRUSH THAT HAIR OFF UNDER THE SIGNAL BARS! RRRRAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWR!

Lol!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevnew1