don't power off your galaxy watch 4 after update

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
Samsung has pulled the latest update since it was bricking watchings after a restart.

Multiple user report (via SamMobile) that the new R8xxXXU1GVI3 update for the Galaxy Watch 4 is bricking units. If you happen to install this update, you wouldn't notice anything wrong at first, but upon rebooting your smartwatch, it might never back turn on again, rendered seemingly useless.

https://www.androidpolice.com/botched-samsung-galaxy-watch-4-update-bricking/

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up! I moved this from the general Wear OS forum to the Galaxy Watch4 forum.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Samsung and stable updates aren't meant to be used together in the same sentence I guess :eek: They've come a tremendous way in timely updates and length of support for their flagship devices, but I still think they have too many devices to support properly. I know my worst update experience ever has been with my Z Flip 3 :( It's still a great little phone though :p

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if this would be a problem with the watch 5 series too, given they're essentially the exact same device internally.

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Seems to be a fix for those GW4 that are still functioning.
For the bricked watches there cannot possibly be any way to download the fix; it wont turn on and will not connect to phone/Galaxy Wearable app.
Yes, it definitely is not going to work if your watch is already bricked. If that is the case you will need to contact Samsung and request/demand that they repair the watch at no cost to you.

Sent from my SM-S908U using AC Forums mobile app

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Seems to be a fix for those GW4 that are still functioning.
For the bricked watches there cannot possibly be any way to download the fix; it wont turn on and will not connect to phone/Galaxy Wearable app.

It depends how "bricked" they are. They do have a recovery mode, if that's accessible they should be repairable.

It is something that is beyond the scope of a normal user though, and not something anyone should have to do regardless of their capability level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad