don't understand S4

cvgjava

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I have note 8 that i use every day with dex. I get significant value from it and while I appreciate that many won't use dex it's real win for me.
So I looked at this new S4 and can't figure it out. Less ram vs note 8. Same processor as note 8. I will buy note 9 and leave this tablet alone. Seems over priced. Again I'm a dex user and just don't see where this fits outside of enterprise issue.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Benefit is mostly the fact that DeX is now self-contained and makes sense on a screen this size. Even if the feature made it into the Note 9 or trickled down to the 8, running DeX on that screen would be very awkward (I mean, running two side by side is already pushing it...)

cvgjava

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Benefit is mostly the fact that DeX is now self-contained and makes sense on a screen this size. Even if the feature made it into the Note 9 or trickled down to the 8, running DeX on that screen would be very awkward (I mean, running two side by side is already pushing it...)

I don't follow. I use dex pad with monitor and BT keyboard and mouse. What is built into S4? You'd still need to connect to externals. Perhaps I don't know enough at this point.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I don't follow. I use dex pad with monitor and BT keyboard and mouse. What is built into S4? You'd still need to connect to externals. Perhaps I don't know enough at this point.

You can go into DeX mode directly on Tab S4. That means you can use DeX on Tab S4 itself, no need to connect to a monitor, not that you can't though.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
You can activate DeX on the Tab S4 with no externals and use the onscreen keyboard. You can trigger it actually from the pull down toggles. Plus if you have the keyboard case, it's basically it's own DeX station. With your phone you still have to pull out a monitor and bluetooth keyboard and mouse. With the Tab S4, open it up on the bookcase and there you go. 10 inch monitor and keyboard. Optional for mouse since you can use the touch screen.

In a way, this is targeted at those running the ultraportable laptops running Windows 10. 4GB RAM is much more than what Android needs if all you're going to do is some web browsing and document processing.

Also depending on your own usage, in my experience a phone needs to be more powerful than a tablet in day to day usage since I have a lot more going on in my phone than my tablet. And considering that I honestly am fine with 4GB on a phone, it's fine for me too on a tablet.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup. More than just focusing on the specs you need to see how optimized the tablet is to run with those resources. From what I've seen, they're plenty (and i've seen demos of people running multiple apps at once on DeX) . I DO miss the FPS, though. That is why I held off (and still haven't pulled the trigger) on getting it...well, that and not having sold my current tablet yet hehe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gennenb