Downloaded files not showing up in My Files

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I can not find the files I download from the internet. I have looked in the My Files and even searched through a browser when linked to my computer.
When I download an image say from the internet using the chrome app on my phone it shows in the notification window and if I select it here it will open up but if I close it I can not find it again, anywhere.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is this problem occurring only when you try to download something using the Google app? If so, go to Settings>Apps, select Google, then Permissions, then make sure Storage is turned on. The Google app should now download files to the /Download directory, instead of the protected system directory /documents.

Aj No

Sep 23, 2020
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is this problem occurring only when you try to download something using the Google app? If so, go to Settings>Apps, select Google, then Permissions, then make sure Storage is turned on. The Google app should now download files to the /Download directory, instead of the protected system directory /documents.

Hello im having the same problem however i did what u said and its already been like that,this problem of me downloading things off of google and them not showing up in my files (i do get the notification that its downloaded ) this has only occurred after i updated my phone .everything was ok for like an hour and then a bunch of songs i have and pictures dissapeared and i cant find the files anywhere so i tried to download them again but it says that "are you sure you want to download the file thats already on your device " or of i try to download something completely new it doesn't show up anywhere (for an example a picture doesent show up in my gallery , so i went to see in my recently downloads and it wasnt there and i also looked through my internal storage and my sd card and its nowhere to be seen)im also sorry English isnt my first language and explained things is hard

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello im having the same problem however i did what u said and its already been like that,this problem of me downloading things off of google and them not showing up in my files (i do get the notification that its downloaded ) this has only occurred after i updated my phone .everything was ok for like an hour and then a bunch of songs i have and pictures dissapeared and i cant find the files anywhere so i tried to download them again but it says that "are you sure you want to download the file thats already on your device " or of i try to download something completely new it doesn't show up anywhere (for an example a picture doesent show up in my gallery , so i went to see in my recently downloads and it wasnt there and i also looked through my internal storage and my sd card and its nowhere to be seen)im also sorry English isnt my first language and explained things is hard
Hi is this you here ?

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=1011132

bluehoside

Jun 12, 2021
Visit site
I can not find the files I download from the internet. I have looked in the My Files and even searched through a browser when linked to my computer.
When I download an image say from the internet using the chrome app on my phone it shows in the notification window and if I select it here it will open up but if I close it I can not find it again, anywhere.

I'm also having the same problem. but in my case it is from Microsoft Teams. i couldn't find the files I've downloaded anywhere (I'm using Google Files). plus i already clear data/cache for both Teams and Files but it's still the same (excuse my English)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Try using Total Commander, and look through all of the available directories (like /Download, /Documents, and subfolders in the /Android/data directory).

bluehoside

Jun 12, 2021
Visit site
omg i found it. it's on Android/data but i can only view the file through Total Commander and not Google Files (because it didn't show up in Google Files). but it's okay this can do. thank you so much for your help.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
I find that my default Samsung file manager often doesn't have initial awareness of files that arrive on my device. In theory, anything that just arrives on the device should show under "recent". However, in my experience it sometimes takes a bit before the file manager notices the file. Maybe something about a periodic indexing setting, or maybe I have the file manager set to not use background processing.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I find that my default Samsung file manager often doesn't have initial awareness of files that arrive on my device. In theory, anything that just arrives on the device should show under "recent". However, in my experience it sometimes takes a bit before the file manager notices the file. Maybe something about a periodic indexing setting, or maybe I have the file manager set to not use background processing.
I don't know I never had a issue with Samsung file manager for what I do .

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
omg i found it. it's on Android/data but i can only view the file through Total Commander and not Google Files (because it didn't show up in Google Files). but it's okay this can do. thank you so much for your help.

That's great! This is a problem with the Microsoft Teams app developer -- they should change where the app downloads files to, since it seems totally reasonable to be able to easily access those files after you download them. (Some apps intentionally make it harder to find your downloaded files because they're supposed to be for the app's use only.) Send some feedback to the developer about this.

Another possibility is that the app didn't have Storage permission turned on by default -- go to Settings>Apps, tap Permissions, and see if it has Storage permission.

bluehoside

Jun 12, 2021
Visit site
That's great! This is a problem with the Microsoft Teams app developer -- they should change where the app downloads files to, since it seems totally reasonable to be able to easily access those files after you download them. (Some apps intentionally make it harder to find your downloaded files because they're supposed to be for the app's use only.) Send some feedback to the developer about this.

Another possibility is that the app didn't have Storage permission turned on by default -- go to Settings>Apps, tap Permissions, and see if it has Storage permission.

I'm using Vivo V20 and there's no storage permission but it has files and media permission as you can see in this screenshot. i allow everything but still it didn't show up in Files so yes i think it is the developer's problem. i will send some feedback to them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210613_102913.jpg
    Screenshot_20210613_102913.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 8

KenzX

Nov 29, 2021
Visit site
Hi all, so for ages when downloading clan vods via my browser I was able to find these files in my files and transfer them to my sd card. however since from about 2 months ago no files I download show up in my files, if i view it on my phone there is 0 items in every folder bar one. yet i know there is files there because i watch them daily via the browser.

I have tried resetting my phone and giving all permissions but that doesnt work, I have also tried TC but it keeps complaining about a write protection problem with android 5 that I cannot get past but for abrief second I can see the files there I just cant access them outside of the browser and it doesnt let me transfer them outside of the browser from there, please helkp this is driving me crazy.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which phone, and which browser are you using? If you're using Chrome, tap the Menu button, then Downloads -- do you see anything there?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci